My day trying to buy fluids for the drive train

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

My day trying to buy fluids for the drive train

Post by malkavian »

ok so I go and and try to get my trans flushed and filter changed. The only local place I trust was booked up so I decide to try the dealer I bought my truck from. They quoted me 299.00 to flush and change filter. :shock:

But anyway on to my point of the story. The first time I had my front and rear diffs fluids changed I just had it done along with the transmission fluid. So I figure while Im at the dealer Ill buy the stuff to do it my self. I couldnt remember if we have to add a additive for the locking rear in our crews so I ask the parts guy. Well he goes on to tell me the g80 is a limited slip and needs the additive. I thought we didnt need it. So Im telling him it doesnt need it and hes sayng it does. So I start questioning wether Im remembering the right rpo for the locker so I give him the vin so he can just pull it up and give me exactly what I need. He tells me I have the limited slip and 3:73 gears. My window sticker says I have the 3:42's he says Im wrong and prints out the "build sheet" and points out the limited slip and the 3:73's on the print out. Im looking at it and notice that the build sheet has my vin number but is showing a 2 door four wheel drive BLAZER?????? He does it a few more times and I still have a BLAZER according to them :?

So anyway do we need additives for the rearend? or just straight gear oil. Long story for a short answer.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No additive, show him your owners manual.

The VIN may come up as a Blazer due to the fact we are also utilities.
HenryJ wrote:
GM Data wrote:Front and Rear Axle Standard Differential Axle Lubricant (GM P/N 1052271) or SAE 80W-90 GL-5 Gear Lubricant

Rear Axle (Locking, Differential) Axle Lubricant, use only GM Part No. 12345977 (in Canada use Part No. 10953482). Do Not add friction modifier
The owners manual lists: Front and Rear Axle (Standard Differential) SAE 80W-90 Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 1052271 or equivalent) and Rear Axle (Locking, Differential) Axle Lubricant; use only GM Part No. 1052271 Do Not add friction modifier

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

$299? YIKES! My dealership charges $99.95 for a trans flush. $299 is crazy.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

I knew we didnt have to add the additive LOL . Thanks for the confirmation hj. Yeah I just have to wait till I can get an appt. with the other shop for the trans flush. Thanks again guys. Back to work for me.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

Im still just curious as to why gm list the g80 as a limited slip? From what I understand it doesnt have a clutch pack like other limited slip diff's does it. I know it sure doesnt act like any limited slip I have had in a truck before.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ZR2.com wrote:Eaton Gov-Lo(c)k. It's a hybrid design that incorporates elements from the traditional limited slip (also called a "posi" or "positraction") and a traditional "mechanical locker" (brand names like "Detroit" or "Lock Right").

The way it's supposed to work is that when one wheel slips (spins faster than the other wheel on the axle), clutches in the differential are engaged. The clutches trigger a mechanical system that solidly locks the two axles together, preventing one wheel from spinning faster than the other. The Gov-Lock system will disengage the locking mechanism when torque is no longer applied to the pinion (the part of the rear diff that is connected to the driveshaft).

The Gov-Lok differs from traditional mechanical lockers in a couple of important ways (I'll use a Detroit Locker as an example of a traditional mechanical locker):

Detroits are always locked, they unlock when torque is applied by a wheel being spun faster by the road (i.e. your outside wheel tracking on a turn causes the diff to unlock, and the engine applies power to the inside wheel)

Gov-Loks are always unlocked, and the outside wheel on a turn is the powered wheel

Detroits do not need to sense wheelspin, because they are already locked - they only sense when the road is making a wheel spin faster, and then they unlock (usually with a BANG)

Gov-Loks must sense wheelspin (by the clutch mechanism) and lock when one wheel has gone faster than the other (the threshold for locking is set higher than normally occurs in a turn).

Detroits will instantly cause a vehicle to slide sideways when on an icy side incline

Gov-Loks will let one wheel spin, then engage the locking mechanism, causing the vehicle to slide sideways on an icy side incline (audio imitation: whiiiiirrrrr, BANG, sideways sliiiiiiiide)

Is one better than the other? Not necessarily.

Detroits can cause funny handling characteristics on short wheelbase vehicles (reference the inside wheel being driven on a turn). Gov-Loks have a tendency to engage harshly, causing slides and unexpected wheelspin on both rear tires. Gov-Loks also exhibit a tendency to self-destruct when a lot of torque is applied to the locking mechanism. (Imagine the force of a 31" wheel/tire quickly spinning up to 30 mph and then the locking mechanism trying to engage the other axle/wheel/tire which might be barely moving and on a high-traction surface). The extreme situation like this is when you're 3-wheeling to get over an obstacle.

You can sometimes modulate the locking action of the Gov-Lok by applying the brakes gently when you're spinning a single wheel (this is also a trick you can do with a limited slip differential). It sometimes makes the engagement of the locking mechanism less harsh. My advice is to not floor the gas when you don't have both wheels on similar surfaces -- you'll be less likely to have any of the"bad" locker characteristics bite you in the butt.

Eaton Gov-Lock product brochure info:

Image Image

-- Submitted By Chuck Conway

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

ahhhhhh ok ..thank you hj that clears up a lot .