Another 4wd problem

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Another 4wd problem

Post by Steve2003 »

Well the gremlins have gotten tired of stealing my socks and tools, they now have got to my truck :shock: My 4wd is all messed up, it will not go into 4wd Hi unless I stop the truck, put it in neutral and then put it in 4wd low, then 4wd low will work, then if I stop again, put it in neutral, go to 4wd Hi then 4wd Hi will work. But to get it back into regular drive I have to repeat the same order backwards but it gets stuck in 4wd low when I try to put it back into 2wd it stays stuck in 4wd low and I have to keep pushing the button over and over and over. Then it makes a big clunk then it goes back to 2wd. I have the extended warranty, Millennium Platinum, does anyone think I should have any problems having this fixed under warranty since my truck is lifted? I am thinking it's the encoder motor.

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

I don't think you should have any problems. Lifting it has nothing to do with this IMO. Mine did that too when i first started having problems with it. I don't have the funds to fix it right now though. I have found that the unhooking the battery for 15 - 30 minutes to reset computer has worked for me. So now i carry a ratchet with me to unhook my battery when i get to my destination if i am really in need of 4wd.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

encoder motor most likely... had the same problem, after replacing the tc control module twice, they decided it was the encoder motor and it has been working ever since
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

My 4wd is still not working :x After going to Mammoth lakes on a ski vacation, I got stuck 3 times in the ice and snow. another time I did a 180 in the middle of the highway doing about 15 mph. scared the s##t out of my wife :shock: so I took it back to the dealer and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the 4wd :twisted: I told them thats BS so they said come down and we will take it for a drive and you can see it's working. so I went to the dealer and said get my truck, there's a field up the street we can test it. Then the service manager came out and said whats going on? To make a long story short they have had my truck for two days and they still claim nothing is wrong but that the computer has showed it acting up once before,WTF does that mean? They said they are in contact with a engineer back east and that it might be a short. Question! two times I have deprogramed The hppIII when I took it in and they say my 4wd is fine, could the hppIII have anything to do with the 4wd problem?

Steve
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

it has nothing to do with the front engageing
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You might take a look and make darn sure that the wires are in no way stressed or pinched due to the lift. It would be easy to say the lift caused the problem if damaged wiring is found.
While you're under there pop the vacuum lines off of the transfercase switch and check them for signs of fluid.

Now go to the front axle. Check the cable that enters the right side (pass side) of the differential. Make sure it is not tight and has some slack available. Look for signs that it may have been pulled or stressed. Also check the wires to the switch. This switch is what lets the system know the front axle has engaged.

If all that looks good , get out your step ladder and remove the battery and battery tray. Under there is your actuator. Again check that cable. Also check the vacuum line. Pull it off and attach a piece of hose to the actuator. A vacuum hand pump would be the best test, but you can suck on it , see if it holds vacuum and moves the cable.

This is all a bunch of work, but you really need to do your own leg work if things are not getting done elsewhere. If this is intermittent, There is not going to be much they can do until the problem gets worse.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Thanks Hj for that info. The truck is at the dealer right now. I have already been in contact with the extended warranty company and they said it would be covered but that they need to know what caused the problem. That's if they can find the problem.Of course I didn't tell them I lifted the truck. Hopefully the dealer will find out the problem and it won't be lift related. Also the dealer found a small oil leak coming from the timing chain cover and that is covered by the extended warranty. $100.00 deductible. I'm hoping that they can fix both for the one deductible.

Steve
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Got my truck back today from the dealer :bounce:

Replace Encoder Mod---------------------------- $577.50
Replace Gasket, Cover Kit, Coolant-------------$678.16
Total------------------------------------------------$1,255.00
Steve Pays-----------------------------------------$100.00
Millennium Pays------------------------------------$1,155.00

I think my extended warranty just paid for it self! :thumb: :bounce: :nana:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

ImageImageImage
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Steve2003 wrote:Got my truck back today from the dealer :bounce:

Replace Encoder Mod---------------------------- $577.50
Replace Gasket, Cover Kit, Coolant-------------$678.16
Total------------------------------------------------$1,255.00
Steve Pays-----------------------------------------$100.00
Millennium Pays------------------------------------$1,155.00

I think my extended warranty just paid for it self! :thumb: :bounce: :nana:
That is the same reason I chose to buy an extended warranty! Glad to hear everything worked out for you Steve. :)
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Now , are your fingers still crossed? Hope it keeps working as it should :mg:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

HenryJ wrote:Now , are your fingers still crossed? Hope it keeps working as it should :mg:
Yes they are! I went to the first field I could find to make sure the 4wd was working, and one other on the way home, just to make sure! I'm trying to think positive! :pray: The dealer told me that there was a short in the encoder motor. I am still going to get with my buddy and check those connections you suggested taking a look at while my belly pan and skid plate are off! If I do have more problems I've got until 75,000 to get it fixed under the extended warranty.

Steve