4WD high range issue

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Jeff
Crew
Crew

4WD high range issue

Post by Jeff »

:twisted: Pulling my boat out of the ramp yesterday, it was muddy and the back tires started to slip. I figured that I would just put it into 4 high, and fix the issue. Pushed the button for 4 HI and nothing, the lights didnt blink, the transfer case, and the front end didnt engage. I put it in nutral, same thing. I tried 4 low, and it worked fine. I tried going to 4 high on the way home, same issue, nothing happened.

Does any one have a thought on what is wrong? What trouble shooting would you recommend for me to figure out what is causing the problem? I dont use my 4wd often (once a month maybe) but dont feel that this should cause the issue I am seeing.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: 4WD high range issue

Post by kf6kmx »

Jeff wrote::twisted: Pulling my boat out of the ramp yesterday, it was muddy and the back tires started to slip. I figured that I would just put it into 4 high, and fix the issue. Pushed the button for 4 HI and nothing, the lights didnt blink, the transfer case, and the front end didnt engage. I put it in nutral, same thing. I tried 4 low, and it worked fine. I tried going to 4 high on the way home, same issue, nothing happened.

Does any one have a thought on what is wrong? What trouble shooting would you recommend for me to figure out what is causing the problem? I dont use my 4wd often (once a month maybe) but dont feel that this should cause the issue I am seeing.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
4lo worked though? Bad switch??
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

This sounds almost exactly like what Quickbiker's CC did.

Here is what I found:
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=842
Jeff
Crew
Crew

Post by Jeff »

Well While I was changing the Anti freeze the other day, I decided to disconnect the battery and reset the computer. When I connected the battery back up, the 4 Hi began working again. No issues since.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Jeff wrote:Well While I was changing the Anti freeze the other day, I decided to disconnect the battery and reset the computer. When I connected the battery back up, the 4 Hi began working again. No issues since.
Sometimes that works too. I had a '99 Ranger (I'm sorry to admit) that I would put into 4wd (hi or lo) but it wouldn't come back out again until I removed a fuse under the hood, sort of "rebooting" the computer. It didn't do it too often, but enough to make me not want to use the 4wd unless I absolutely had to.