Transmission lunge

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Transmission lunge

Post by Mat73GNZ »

Don't know if this is really a problem or something I should be worried about, but my Crew Cab has done this ever since I bought it. A buddy of mine said this should NOT be happening, although I thought it was just normal. When the truck has been sitting like say, over night, when I go to start the struck, the whole truck lunges forward, almost like it is in drive, but it obviously can't go anywhere, because it's in park. So what do you guys think? Something not right? Something I should be worried about in the future?

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
'73 Datsun 240Z with Buick Grand National engine swap
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

my non-professional opinion:

Not Normal -- have it looked at.

Try this -- get in, and turn the key to shift the truck into neutral.

Release the brake and start the truck. (Make sure nothing is in front of you)

If your truck jumps forward -- you have issues -- possibly with your torque converter not disengaging.

do you ever find that you relly have to keep a lot of pressure on the brake while stopped at trafficlights and such? It shouldn't require much pressure at all if on level ground.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Jim

Re: Transmission lunge

Post by Jim »

Mat73GNZ wrote:Don't know if this is really a problem or something I should be worried about, but my Crew Cab has done this ever since I bought it. A buddy of mine said this should NOT be happening, although I thought it was just normal. When the truck has been sitting like say, over night, when I go to start the struck, the whole truck lunges forward, almost like it is in drive, but it obviously can't go anywhere, because it's in park. So what do you guys think? Something not right? Something I should be worried about in the future?

!M!
If it's on level pavement it will want to move forward. All the trans parts want to spin the same direction until they slip. Some vehicles do this some don't. I usually set my parking brake & park on a slope so I have not experienced this... but my wifes past 2 cars did that in the garage.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Hey! I thought I was the only one! I have the exact same problem with my 2001. It only does it once in a while. Of course, only when in MY garage and never in the SERVICE garage. So nobody seems to know what's going on with it. At least around here anyway. I just said the heck with it. I'm gonna drive it 'til it dies and then worry about it!
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Transmission lunge

Post by kf6kmx »

Mat73GNZ wrote:Don't know if this is really a problem or something I should be worried about, but my Crew Cab has done this ever since I bought it. A buddy of mine said this should NOT be happening, although I thought it was just normal. When the truck has been sitting like say, over night, when I go to start the struck, the whole truck lunges forward, almost like it is in drive, but it obviously can't go anywhere, because it's in park. So what do you guys think? Something not right? Something I should be worried about in the future?

!M!
I wouldnt worry about it. My '03 Crewcab does that if the parking brake isnt on and its on level ground (I usually set the brake though out of habbit, so I dont even notice it).
Its basically a function of the trany.. The system is in neutral, but there is a slight slurge as the pressure comes back up (possibly slightly out of alignment valves or something).
My '90 1-ton Dually GMC used to do that, my '66 Mustang does that, and the '90 Prostreet mustang USED to do that (a 3,000rpm :shock: stall converter, that is needed for the blower and cam , solved it from doing that any more).

If the truck is in park, it cant go more than a slight amount.. it wont hurt anything unless you have your hand/foot stuck in between the tire and floor to where the 1/4" or so movement would roll on top of you.
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]