Balljoints?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

kbd2000

Balljoints?

Post by kbd2000 »

So I just left the dealership and they are going to replace my balljoints under warranty but the guy said he probably shouldn't do it under warranty because of my tires. I was just wondering if in fact my tires really can cause problems. I have the PA 2" BL and 31" Mud Terrains.

Cliff notes: What causes pre-mature balljoint wear? :D

Thanks!
Kent
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Balljoints?

Post by barch97 »

kbd2000 wrote: What causes pre-mature balljoint wear?
um... the additional weight and lateral torque caused by driving on heavier oversized tires.
kbd2000

Post by kbd2000 »

Thanks! I know virtually nothing about suspension components so I was just curious.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

no, I just made that up. sounded pretty good though, didn't it? :lol:

The most common cause of failure is lack of proper lubrication. oversized tires probably effect it but, if you're still under warranty... well, they shouldn't effect it that much that fast.
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

I also had my balljoints replaced. They were making a poping noise at about 45 or 50 miles (first week I bought the truck!) I took it in and they replaced both sides with the newer bolt in kind and haven't had a problem with them in about 40k miles. The service guy told me they have been having problems with the balljoints on these S-10's. At least it was fixed under waranty.

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
'73 Datsun 240Z with Buick Grand National engine swap
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I too have had ball joints replaced under warranty.

The Tech doing the installation tried the line..." These oversized tires probably caused the premature failure", I replied "Hmmm, well it is the same size the comes stock on the ZR2 models and they are having the same ball joint problems. I am very sure that it is a problem with the ball joints themselves." "Why would GM redesign the replacement ball joints if there was no problem with the OEM ball joints?"
I asked them if they would mind if I disassembled the bad ball joint, and they agreed, but had to have it to turn in for the waranteed part.
I then proceeded to destroy, err, ummm...disassemble the ball from it's socket.
Once disassembled it was obvious what the problem could be. The ball has a rough texture, not a smooth finish with lubricating grooves like many of the aftermarket parts are designed.
The only thing that I can surmise is that this rough surface was to retain the grease, but instead wore the socket rather rapidly , and even quicker without sufficient lubrication. It must have been less expensive to build them this way.

"Just plain poorly designed." , I said.

The Tech pretty much shut up at that point.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK