Rear diff pinion seal needs replacement. Am I the first?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Rear diff pinion seal needs replacement. Am I the first?

Post by quickbiker »

Well, I am back from my work trip and went wheeling over the weekend. Got stuck in a mudhole and torn a CV boot and also me wifey noticed some oil underneath when she was cleaning the inside (yea, I took on alot of water/mud inside). And I see I am leaking diff oil from the pinion seal. Am I the first to need to replace this? Maybe I can use the one I got for my Camaro since they have the same rear. ha. I'll see if I can get a pic or 2 of my truck doubling as a submarine. I even had the top of the bed underwater. I'll be drying off for weeks. May take longer after the Hurricane comes through. Most things, including my work are closed tomorrow and Friday.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

nope, but i tore the back plate off of my rear diff :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

LOL. I did that too last year. I just banged it back into shape with a hammer. sealed up fine!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:LOL. I did that too last year. I just banged it back into shape with a hammer. sealed up fine!

me too!!!! :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

:shock: maybe some rear diff armor needs to be fabbed up for you two... :D
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

NTXCrew wrote::shock: maybe some rear diff armor needs to be fabbed up for you two... :D

But then I would loose some clearance. :? Can't have that.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

LOL you people are way to hard on your trucks! :roll: Or you could just weld the cover on. 8)
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:
NTXCrew wrote::shock: maybe some rear diff armor needs to be fabbed up for you two... :D

But then I would loose some clearance. :? Can't have that.

you could put this on the rear....4wp has them. i think they are 180

[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

a2b wrote:you could put this on the rear....4wp has them. i think they are 180

I like them , but they are built for the 8.5". I could not find one built for the 7.625" rear cover.

We'll have to build our own :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote:
a2b wrote:you could put this on the rear....4wp has them. i think they are 180

I like them , but they are built for the 8.5". I could not find one built for the 7.625" rear cover.

We'll have to build our own :D

oh, i didnt look that hard.....
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

That's not bad. But $180, ouch.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

a guy on ebay sells and builds them for all dana axles, 10,12,14 bolt gm axles and ford axles. I dont know about your 7.625 but im sure he can build them. They are only 50.00, ive been thinking about getting on for my rear and painting it yellow.
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Not that hard to make though --- hmm I'm going to be playing with a sheet of steel plating this weekend making airbag brackets, have some scrap bar stock and happen to have a new blade on my cut-off saw ---- hmmm--just don't wanna take my rear diff cover off to make a template with -- guess I can do it with cardboard.

If I have the time, I'll see what I can do.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

Bringing up an old topic 8)

Tonight, I changed my differential fluid and noticed my pinion seal was leaking! Must have been doing it for a while, because it's slung all over the place. I have no time to fix it now or to bring it in to the dealer to see if they will cover it under waranty, because I have a 1560 mile round trip vacation to Canada in two days. I sure hope most of the new fluid I put in there stays in there for at least another 1560 miles...

I lost count of how many times I brought this truck in for waranty work, now this happens. It only has 40k miles on the clock. :x

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
'73 Datsun 240Z with Buick Grand National engine swap
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I doubt if warranty would cover it. But if ya got any questions, feel free to ask. Some used a double seal thingy, but they must suck some how. I converted it to a single seal and never had a problem since. If you want the original type of seal, you have to buy a whole new yoke, which is allot. Force the old seal off the yoke, and put a new single seal on the pinion shaft, and you're set. About $10 for a new seal. But you must be very carefull on when you tighten the yoke on the pinion. Too much, and you crush the pinion crush bushing and it's a good idea to check your gear pattern after you re-tighten it. I was luck to do this at the same time I put my locker in, so no fuss, no muss.
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

seal...

Post by KCustom »

My pinon seal went out at 30 k miles and I was driving on the highway. they replaced it and it went out in two days so they replaced the yoke and the seal and I have had no more problems....
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, if you got the triple seal, you gotta replace the yoke if you wanna do it right, but if you're like me, and past warranty, the best way is to force the seal off the yoke, clean off all the rubber junk and convert that yoke setup to a single seal for $10. Cheaper than $100! And I have yet to have it leak.
TheBigFitz
Crew
Crew

Post by TheBigFitz »

I have replaced mine twice, the second time was around 55,000 miles if I remember correctly. I have 78K now so I hope this issue does not come up again for me.
[size=75]SOLD - 2" BL, BFGR 31x10.50 on American Racing Outlaw II Rims (15x7, 6" BS), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 1" Torsion Bar Adjustment, Rear add-a-leaf, Westin nerf bars & tail light guards, Genuine Steel grill guard, Tinted Windows, K&N Filter - SOLD

New Ride: 2006 Chevy Silverado SS[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Go single!
rdivirgilio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rdivirgilio »

do you have a part# on the single seal? I noticed miy pinion seal leaking very badly. The oil is very dirty and extremely liquidy.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

rdivirgilio wrote:do you have a part# on the single seal? I noticed miy pinion seal leaking very badly. The oil is very dirty and extremely liquidy.
No, but just order a pinion seal for an 86 Camaro Z28, or any of the many years of Camaros, or older S-10's or Astro Vans with the 7.5 rear. I just know for sure the 86 Camaro Z28 will work, cause that's what I got for my truck and for my Z28. My truck still is sealed good, probably last longer than the goofy tripple seal.
rdivirgilio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rdivirgilio »

I decided to have my local dealer replace the seal. I have 48K miles on my 03 cc. Apparently there was some cuts in the outer race of the yoke and the tech removed the race completely and tried to find a sleeve to place over it. No GO!! Although his intentions were probably good I have no way to verify it now that its gone. I have to go with my instinct and it would apprear that he was honest.
So now I was told that i need a new yoke as well. When i visited the dealership to see what they were talking about, i had no choice. They had already removed the outer steel race that the pinion seal rests on to try to go around buying another yolk.
So now I'm up to about $300 for the repair as well as a charge of $40 to tell me what i told them---my ac compressor is whining loudly in low gear as i start from a dead stop. The charge was for the TEST. I complained about this noise last summer and was told they could not find anything. Now that I'm out of warranty the price is $1100 for a new compressor. The GM Area rep would go halves on the price which i thought was nice but i have a problem with the dealership that i originally worked with. You see, i had to take GM to court for Lemon Law on the Timing Chain tensioner problem. I won only 2500 back and they placed the teflon fix in the truck. The service mgr. at the original dealership was a complete a!! and all along kept giving me problems. So i have a feeling that they did not write up my complaint about the ac compressor knowing that at the rate i was going, the following summer i would complain again and be out of warranty. I also would like to know how the race that he pinion seal rests on got damaged.
At this point I am very frustrated with GM and I am seriously considering selling the CC and never own another GM vehicle. At least the current dealership here in tennessee seems ok, a complete about face from the dealership in New Jersey. I have a decision to make.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I understand your frustration and wish I had an answer for you. I just hope Barch reads this. If anything we have learned to leave the dealership after having a problem with their "infamous" "Could not duplicate problem customer descriped" on the receipt. Now with "MyGMLink.com" it shows up there as well.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]