Looking on front diff swap suggestions.

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Looking on front diff swap suggestions.

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Ok--I'm having to type this all again, cause either my 1st attempt got lost by the server, or I closed it instead of submitting it. D'Oh!

this is for those of you who have swapped gearing in your IFS front end.

I have a complete front diff assembly sitting in my shop that I got off of EBay for like $65 shipped. I have no idea what ratio is in it. My truck has 3.42's and needs new tires ASAP. I'm going to go with 30's to keep it drivable for the time being. What I want to do is experiment with the extra front Diff to see about possibly swapping in 3.73's or 4.10's (Probably 4.10's) over the summer, since I can take my time without disabling my truck.

Where can I find good pricing on the 7.25 ring and pinion needed to make the swap?

I figure trying to work on it myself will do 1 of 3 things:

1) I will find that I can complete the swap myself, saving me a ton of labor charges, and then can eventually go to 31's or lift it and run bigger than that.

2) I will find I can't do it myself, but not damage anything int he process, and I can let a shop finish it all up for me. Saving lots of labor charge cause I'll bring them a diff that they don't have to remove or reinstall.

3) I will fubar everything and I'll be out the $65 that I spent on the diff assembly and chalk it up to experience.

Any suggestions on the gearing?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Rusty

Re: Looking on front diff swap suggestions.

Post by Rusty »

adrenalnjunky wrote: 3) I will fubar everything and I'll be out the $65 that I spent on the diff assembly and chalk it up to experience.
Yeah, I've done that one many times. With some of the mistakes I've made a college tuition would have been cheaper! Best way to learn is to dive in and see what you can do. You will need a dial indicator and probably a special tool or two (knowing GM). I'm sure there are many websites out there that you can reference to set up the gears properly and I'm sure there are a half dozen people on this site that know how to set them up that can walk you through it. I say go for it.
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

well it may be a lil late but I have a complete front and rear from my 2001 that has 3.73 gears and 28,000 miles and wanting to sell - right now the price is up in the air, and will ing to take offers
[size=75]GO BIG or Go Home
SFA - Dana 44 - front & rear - 4.88 gears - 39.5x15x20's[/size]