Ticking sound

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Ticking sound

Post by Retep »

When I drive next to a building, very tall curb or just anything that will reflect sound with the passanger window down, I hear a ticking or clicking sound which I believe is coming form the passanger side front wheel. :(

With the front wheel off the ground and turning the wheel manually, I can not duplicate the sound. I have checked the half shafts for any play and they do move in and out towards the diff a little. everything else is tight.

Could this be a bad CV joint or hub bearing assembly?

Thanks,
Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Ticking sounds from the wheels are usually wheel bearings I think. Have it checked out.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Yeah, I think a trip to the dealer is in order. Glad I am still under warranty.
I just wanted to know what might be the problem before I take it in.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
Paco
Regular
Regular

tic, tic

Post by Paco »

The last time I heard that sound a few days later the
drivers side wheel bearing froze on the spindle, not
a pretty sight.
[size=75]Paco
03, pewter
Indianapolis, In[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

A middle school in Lawrence, NJ (I think it was Lawrence... mighta been another town that begins with L) was evacuated the other day when a faculty member discovered that someone had written "TICK TICK TICK... BOOM" on a bathroom door.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: tic, tic

Post by Retep »

Paco wrote:The last time I heard that sound a few days later the
drivers side wheel bearing froze on the spindle, not
a pretty sight.
:shock: That's what I am afraid of :shock:

It goes to the dealer monday

Pete
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

I had a clicking noise coming from my wifes 2000 Blazer. Turned out to be the locker rear end needed to have the break in fluid changed. After changing the fluid it stopped. Might check that out. I believe it is changed at 10,000 miles but check your manual.............

Do not put in the lubricating addative that some recommend.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Socaldave wrote:I had a clicking noise coming from my wifes 2000 Blazer. Turned out to be the locker rear end needed to have the break in fluid changed. After changing the fluid it stopped. Might check that out. I believe it is changed at 10,000 miles but check your manual.............

Do not put in the lubricating addative that some recommend.
I wish that was the problem, it would be an easy fix. I changed the diff fluid at 5,000 miles

Pete
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Update: I got the truck back from the dealer and it still goes ticki ticki. :x The invoice said "could not duplicate problem." :x
In their defense, it was raining the day they had it so maybe they couldn't hear the ticking noise over the rain when they road tested it. They did say the brake shield was bent and making contact with the rotor.
I guess I'll have the Mrs. drive the truck while I hang out the window and try to better pinpoint the sound.

They did fix an intermittent problem I was having with the throttle sticking. The invoice said "found foreign material at throttle plate. Remove, clean and replace throttle plate." What ever they cleaned it with, I like it. It feels a little stronger now with better throttle response. :D

Pete
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Retep wrote:.......foreign material at throttle plate.........
:shock:
Bird? Cat? Do tell....
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

check the exhaust manifold gaskets, or collector donuts gasket. When these first develop a small leak they tick tick tick away until the hole gets bigger.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Any of you guys thought about a small rock being lodged in a groove in the tire? It'll make that ticking sound :-) That would explain why the dealer might not have been able to duplicate the problem. This is an easy way to tell with jacking the truck up and rotating the tire, try driving on grass or dirt and see if you hear the noise, then try on pavement and see.
-
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Well it still does it. Just kind of living with it for now. Been doing it for a while and nothing has broke. I guess as the warranty period starts to get close to ending I will take it to the dealer and demand they find the cause.

It's not an exhaust manifold gasket as it only ticks while moving and ticks more with increased speed.

It's not stones in the tire treads either. Although I am always picking them out. The stock GoodYear's pick up stones like no tire I have ever had. And it does make an annoying ticking sound as well

Thanks
Pete
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

yeah mine does taht too. althought i cant tell which side its from. it is very annoying.
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Swbari00 wrote:yeah mine does taht too. althought i cant tell which side its from. it is very annoying.
Yeah mine is still doing it too :x . Definitely coming form right front wheel area. I have never had a passenger comment on it, so I don't think its very noticeable, but I hear it. Next time it goes to the dealer for some other warranty work, I will have them look into it again.

Pete
ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ZIGGY K »

My crew does the same thing .....ticks only when moving.... and the faster i drive the faster it ticks .... did you get this problem fixed ???? What was the cause ????
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

wamason wrote:Any of you guys thought about a small rock being lodged in a groove in the tire? It'll make that ticking sound :-)
Ahh, the curse of having a gravel driveway! I'm so used to hearing "ticking sounds" that if I ever had a real problem, I wouldn't notice it.
ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ZIGGY K »

no, the first thing i looked at was stones in the tires ....thats not it !!!!!!! :!:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Actually, the rock idea isn't that far off. I remember once hearing a ticking sound and looked for a rock but couldn't find it. The ticking sound eventually faded away but then the real problem finally showed itself in the form of a flat tire. It turned out to be a sheet metal screw that was stuck in the tread so neatly that it was almost invisible. The head wore off making it even harder to see but eventually it worked it's way into the tire far enough to cause a leak.

A bad CV joint can make a ticking sound too.

Just a thought.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

ZIGGY K wrote:.... did you get this problem fixed ???? What was the cause ????
No, never got the problem diagnosed. Dealer gave me the "could not duplicate problem" excuse. Are they deaf?? :x
I never worried to much about it because it has done it since day one. Before my warranty expires, I will demand the mechanic ride along so I can point out the sound and hopefully have it resolved.
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I have also noticed a metallic ticking sound, however my truck makes the ticking noise when ever it is running, not just when it is moving. It doesnt sound like it is coming from a wheel or other part of the drive train...I have crawled under the truck and checked for loose exhaust components and such and havent found anything. I dont think it is a big problem but it annoys the hell out of me and I would like to fix it. So far the only thing I havent done is check the gaskets on the manifold, collector, y-pipe...basically everything forward of the cat...
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:I have also noticed a metallic ticking sound, however my truck makes the ticking noise when ever it is running, not just when it is moving. It doesnt sound like it is coming from a wheel or other part of the drive train...I have crawled under the truck and checked for loose exhaust components and such and havent found anything. I dont think it is a big problem but it annoys the hell out of me and I would like to fix it. So far the only thing I havent done is check the gaskets on the manifold, collector, y-pipe...basically everything forward of the cat...
Have you checked te parking brake line? Sometimes it rattles in the bracket that's on the frame back by the fuel filler hose. Also it might be pinging in the engine...sounds like marbles in the engine. Try running some octane booster with your next tank and see if that makes it go away.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If it is that "tiny bicycle with cards in the spokes sound" coming from the engine. Check to make sure that the throttle cable is not resting on the PCV solenoid or related connections. This tends to transfer the pulsating of the PCV valve to the interior.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:I have also noticed a metallic ticking sound, however my truck makes the ticking noise when ever it is running, not just when it is moving. It doesnt sound like it is coming from a wheel or other part of the drive train...I have crawled under the truck and checked for loose exhaust components and such and havent found anything. I dont think it is a big problem but it annoys the hell out of me and I would like to fix it. So far the only thing I havent done is check the gaskets on the manifold, collector, y-pipe...basically everything forward of the cat...
Also check your belt. My 00 Sonoma had a belt with a chunk missing from the ribbed part, and it made a ticking sound at idle when that part of the belt would pass over a certain pulley.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I have checked the brake cable and it doesnt seem to be the culprit. If the problem was pinging in the engine I would be very surprised as I run 90 octane gas always and I do throw a bottle of the NOS octane boost in there every now and again (I have a lot of it laying around for my other cars). I think the noise is coming from either something in or directly beneath the engine compartment but its hard to really listen good due to that damn clutch fan that sounds like a C-130 taking off...thats a whole other can of worms though.

Thanks for the suggestions!!
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I was just looking under my hood with the engine running and I think I found out what the ticking noise is that I keep hearing... The idler/idler pulley is twitching around more than it should be and I think I can trace the source of the noise to that general area. I'll order a new belt and idler pulley and see if that gets rid of the noise... others that have noticed a ticking noise may want to check their idler pulley.
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Just to clarify things...the noise seems to be coming from the acc belt tensioner, not the idler pulley itself.