What Gear Ratio is my truck?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

ViperVengeance
Regular
Regular

What Gear Ratio is my truck?

Post by ViperVengeance »

I bought my 2002 ZR-5 Crew Cab used and am not sure what gear ratio is on my truck? How can I easily find out what it is?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: What Gear Ratio is my truck?

Post by HenryJ »

ViperVengeance wrote:... not sure what gear ratio is on my truck? How can I easily find out what it is?
Read this thread: Deciphering the glovebox RPO codes

The glove box RPO codes will give you all the information :)

P.S. Welcome aboard! and search to your hearts content ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

if it has the g-80, its 3.73...if not, 3.42

if you dont know if you have the g-80....

spray water on your street and on your driver side rear tire. lay the hammer down while watching your driver rear tire. if it doesnt spin, then you are open and you have 3.42 gears
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
ViperVengeance
Regular
Regular

Figured out

Post by ViperVengeance »

I have the 3.73 and the G80. Thank you.
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

I have the G-80 and 3.42's. Is that not common? I thought the 3.42 was more popular by dealer's than the 3.73 (I wish... OH I WISH, I had the 3.73's). The 3.42's just don't get-up and go :(
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

tell me about it i got 3.42's and 30 inchers, my gas mileage is horrible
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

marks10cc wrote:I have the G-80 and 3.42's. Is that not common? I thought the 3.42 was more popular by dealer's than the 3.73 (I wish... OH I WISH, I had the 3.73's). The 3.42's just don't get-up and go :(
I think it depends on the dealer. One dealer here just never seems to order any with 3.73, while the one I bought it from seems to allways choose the lower gears when it's a free upgrade. If I was a dealer, I would order the lower gears if it's free(it's free on the s10 atleast) as during a demo ride, it should make the truck fell peppier than the higher 3.42 gears.

There is one disadvantage with the 3.73 though. when your cruising at highway speeds, it's not very peppy if you mash the gas trying to pass someone. That's where the higher gears might help as it might be better matched at higher speeds. I guess bigger tires would help with the 3.73 though..... :)

Cheers,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

The ONLY saving grace with the 3.42's is the fact that our trucks can't breathe after 4200 RPM or so. With the 3.42's, this helps a little. If you let off the gas at 4200 so that the tranny upshifts, then gradually (but quickly) return it to full throttle... you can get a nice run within the powerband. To have the same run with the same powerband on 3.73's, you have to travel a little more into the suffocation region. Then again... a high flow intake solves that. Oh well... they suck, I loose. :lol: