Bad news: Balance Shaft Fix is Gone

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Black03ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bad news: Balance Shaft Fix is Gone

Post by Black03ZR5 »

A NEW FIX IS NOW AVAILABLE AS OF 12-31
I went to my dealer yesterday for an oil change and to order the parts for the balance shaft bulletin. My truck is still under warranty with 18k on the clock. The guy who owns the dealership has been our GM salesperson for about 10 years now. I was sitting in his office shooting the sh!t with him and what not, and the service manager came in and said that as of November 26th, GM pulled the bulletin because the previous bulletin didn't fix the problem. GM now says that this is normal and there is no problem. I have a huge problem with this, as most of my driving is city, and that is when this noise is most noticable. So I called GM customer assistance filed a complaint and now Garth the owner is using my case # to escalate this and either get a fix for me or possibly do a by back on my truck. I have met the regional rep for this dealer a few times I guess he is a good guy and will most likely take care of me.
Talk about a major lack of quality control.
Dave
Last edited by Black03ZR5 on Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rdivirgilio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rdivirgilio »

I expected that. the fix went into my truck, seemed quiet for awhile, but its back again but a little quiet'r. There is still the noise when you first start it up.
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Hey Black...I am sure you have done this before, but can you briefly decribe how this noise sounds?
Black03ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Black03ZR5 »

In my truck it sounds like a rattle or small diesel engine, others have stated a bell sounds etc.
Dave
Black03ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Black03ZR5 »

NEW FIX IS NOW AVAILABLE
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Great...

Post by ludwis »

Well what is it? You've got our attention :?:
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

The only thing I can see released on December 31 was:

#PI01618 Buzz , Rattle , Hiss Noise Coming from IPC and/or Can Be Heard in Passenger Compartment - kw fuel line - (Dec 31, 2003)

Is that it?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i still never heard anything on my s-10 :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

marks10cc wrote:The only thing I can see released on December 31 was:

#PI01618 Buzz , Rattle , Hiss Noise Coming from IPC and/or Can Be Heard in Passenger Compartment - kw fuel line - (Dec 31, 2003)

Is that it?
Do you have a link to the complete description and fix for this?

I'm still trying to solve a tick/buzz in mine.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Mine sounds like the timer you find in hotel bathrooms--where you turn the dial to make the heatlamp come on? Like a hyperactive egg timer.

It does it pretty much at or right off of idle, give it a little more gas and it goes away. I've been looking for it ever since I got the truck.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Black03ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Black03ZR5 »

When I get the bulletin I will let you guys know. It may be a few weeks, as I have to wait for the parts to come in. However I may end up getting this fixed and getting a Colorado. I think this may be the time to buy.
Dave
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

HenryJ, I don't have the info. It's not a TSB, just a prelim. I don't have access to those. The TSB on the kit still exists though, it doesn't look to have been spiked. Are dealers just denying it's existance? Or was it scrapped with a prelim rather than a re-issued TSB?

Edit: I remember a post from someone who had MASSIVE problems with their truck... it started with the heater controls blowing vent regardless of the switch position. The transfer case fluid contamination problem? I did a search, but I can't find a good word to hit this thread with...

Anyway, that member stated that a 'ringing' or 'buzz' sound was fixed by spreading the fuel and return lines further apart. I belive this prelim is in regard to that, but I'm not sure.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

marks10cc wrote:HenryJ, I don't have the info. It's not a TSB, just a prelim. I don't have access to those.
Bummer, sounded like new information that may relate to the buzz/tick that I have :sad:
Edit: I remember a post from someone who had MASSIVE problems with their truck... it started with the heater controls blowing vent regardless of the switch position. The transfer case fluid contamination problem? I did a search, but I can't find a good word to hit this thread with...
I searched for "HVAC" and found it: '02 Crew - Lots of issues, back in business (long)
Anyway, that member stated that a 'ringing' or 'buzz' sound was fixed by spreading the fuel and return lines further apart. I belive this prelim is in regard to that, but I'm not sure.
Hmmm, I'll take another look to make sure those lines have clearance.. Seems like I remember someone who mentioned that the throttle cable lying on the PCV line was transfering a sound under the dash, but I've checked that and made sure it has no contact there.
The sound does seem to follow the PCV valve pulse.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

That may have been me that posted about the buzz/rattle from the fuel line touching the PVC valve and causing the noise in the dash area around the instrument cluster.

My wifes 2000 Blazer had that problem. Took forever for the dealer to trace it dowm. First they said it was the speedo cable, but there is no "cable". It is electronic not mechanical. Then they said the fuel lines were rubbing on the motor and the firewall, but that did not fix it. Finally they fixed it and said it was the PVC valve thing.

Hope that helps.......

I am trying to get my 02 crewcab in for the balance shaft noise........