Front axle

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Front axle

Post by Horsehammerr »

Well here I go again. Right side front CV joint gone :shock: again. New Cardone 66-1312 will be here Tuesday . Seems every three or four years one or both need renewed.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Front axle

Post by roadrunner »

Been there, done that. I used to get cajoled by my brother for keeping spares of the axles on hand. I told him it was cheaper in the long run because when one went bad it was usually at the most inconvenient time and the truck had to go the next day. Parts houses rarely had them on hand here either.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
plantone
Crew
Crew

Post by plantone »

Horsehammerr wrote:Seems every three or four years one or both need renewed.
how many miles are we talking about, just out of curiousity.
"Politics: The art of appearing candid and completely open while concealing as much as possible." - Frank Herbert

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries" - The French Fellows
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'03 LS Crew Cab
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

:x Between 30-40,000 . Just knocked the axle shaft loose and pulled it out and the DANG cross shaft came with it. Now I gotta pull the connecting tube , so I can get that dang three prong washer in its place . So much fun :x Unless someone knows how to get the dang thing back in there ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

NEVER MIND
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Got the new axle in and no change in Crunchy sound . Only happens when backing up fully locked to the left. So I spent some more and changed the Hub axle. Still no change. Thought I'd grab the steering linkage and give it a good yank and jerk when I notice a very small shiney spot on the Sway Bar. Looking closer , I notice the inside Bead edge of this right wheel is a little rubbed and shiney. Steering is good and no weird wear on the tire. Must be a Ball joint problem that lets this wheel pull around enough to make contact when backing to the left fully turned ?
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I believe the whole problem is my Idler Arm
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Still Crunching and Clanking along at 209,000 miles . Yes I am this Stubborn .