headlights on warning - help please

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

headlights on warning - help please

Post by bradjh »

I need electrial knowlege but not with the crew, My fiance's mom has left her headlights on several times killing batteries etc. I am trying to hook up a headlight on reminder on her 96 honda accord witch does not have one how would i hook it up? or any suggestions please? I turned to crew cabbers because i know you have been able to help me with everthing electrical so far..

Hope this is not an illegal post or something..

I tried searcing the web but not been finding much
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

Well i have tried a couple things a piezo buzzer that you hook up to headlights and hook up to another fuse that only has power when car is on. That did not work.. Then i tried a few other wiring options but cant get it to buzz when lights stay on..

Thanks

Brad
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Just a thought,

Instead of connecting a buzzer to the headlights, put a relay on them that is connected to the ignition so that the headlights will not stay on with the key off.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The easiest solution is to add a brain.

No! Not for her! :crazy: :lol: For the car: Battery brain

Watch the video here

If you want to get complicated you can build an automatic headlamp system (AHL), or wire a relay to kill them when the ignition shuts off. Both of those would have risks if they fail at night.

I am not sure an idiot light or buzzer is going to fix the problem if she doesn't see the lights on the front of the car.

Get her a brain. ;)

The relay to turn them off might be a bad idea if you needed to kill the engine at night and drive to the side of the road. That may be why most headlamps are independent of the ignition?

Have you tried a tap at the fuse, or relay?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK