i disabled that aggrivating auto-down driver window feature!

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

i disabled that aggrivating auto-down driver window feature!

Post by crew cab sonoma »

this feature has always pissed me off.... its not that i hate the feature, just the way GM made it work... many cars have a two-step switch. the first notch, the window goes down under full manual control, hit the second indent to trigger the auto feature.
thats how it should be... but GM just had to try and re-invent the wheel, and build a single step switch that uses a time delay to trigger the auto feature.....
thats what pisses me off... after a second or two, you no longer have control of when to stop the window, other than reversing the window...
given this design, i`d just assume not to have the auto feature at all...

so, i took my window switch apart, and discovered that there is a small circuit board with a relay on it, that controls the auto feature. the testing begins...

simply removing the board will prevent the driver window from working all, plus the light for the switches is built into the board.
after some studying of the board, i decided to use a hobby knife, and "cut" one of the printed circuit paths to the soldered-on sealed relay.
it was one of the small circuit lines, obviously to control the relay coil...

sucess! no more damned auto feature!
it turned out to be a quick and easy fix to a really annoying function.

i might try to post a pic. of where i cut the circuit on the board, if anybody is interested, but bear with me... i`m not exactly savvy at posting pics.
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

while you're at it maybe you could come up with a way to make all four windows auto down? :wink:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

would you like auto-up on them as well??? :shock:
[size=75]Lee

00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I want Auto-Up and Auto-Down on all my windows!

I hate having to sit around and wait and wait and wait for all these dang windows to go up. (Yes this is my first 4dr vehicle). :D :D
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

crew cab sonoma wrote:would you like auto-up on them as well??? :shock:
Yes, please. :D

Didn't someone here rig up a switch to control all four windows together?
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

I am interested in the 4 windows mod lol
Tony
Crew
Crew

Post by Tony »

I wish we could have auto up and auto down feature!

Personally, I've always noticed if you don't push the button down all the way it still goes down w/o the auto feature.
[size=75]-Tony
[b]2001 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab SLS[/b] | 4.3L 262ci 90º V6; Hydra Matic 4L60E |
0 mods getting it back to factory shape then modding.[/size]
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

all the window switches i`ve seen on these trucks are single step.
i know i certainly couldnt prevent mine from activating by pressing lightly on the switch.
the auto feature is triggered by about a 2 sec. time delay.
you can hear the relay "click" on when it triggers, and off again, shortly after the window is all the way down.
[size=75]Lee

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I wonder if there is a way to convert the 2 second delay into a double down click for auto down? :?:

We currently have to hold the button down for 2 seconds to activate the auto feature which some have said is annoying which I completely agree with since you don't always want the window to go all the way down. :roll:

It would be nice if you could hold the button down as long as you like to get to the desired open point, but also have the option of auto down by pressing the button down 2 times within say 3 seconds. :?:

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I'd prefer the auto down feature to work similar to other cars I've driven--pressing the button one click keeps it momentary, pressing it two clicks activates the auto down/up feature. That would be my choice if I could.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

i agree Walt. but since that isnt available to us, i find i`m happier without the auto feature... :D

BTW, its a pretty quck and easy fix. all you need is a small flatblade screwdriver, to help remove the electrical connectors from the switch asy. and to remove the bottom snap-on cover, to expose the circuit board,
and a sharp knife to break the printed circuit path on the board...

and i suppose it could be reveresed by adding a dab of solder back over the cut, if you wanted to restore the feature.

also, i cant help but think the auto feature is not the best thing for the longevity of the window motor. maybe it doesnt really hurt it, but still...

having to reverse the window, to stop it, and the relay often stays engaged for a couple of seconds after the window has reached the bottom of its travel, allowing current to continue passing through the brushes, once it has stopped...
[size=75]Lee