Opinions/Advice on Bazooka Bass tube or other sub suggestion

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

huntsman2002crew
Regular
Regular

Opinions/Advice on Bazooka Bass tube or other sub suggestion

Post by huntsman2002crew »

Im looking for a nice bass setup inmy crew and im considering a bazooka tube. Does anyone else use one and if so how were the results? What would be the largest sze i could run...from my measurements i can only run an 8 inch but i could be wrong.

Edited title to be more descriptive. -W
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Bazooka Tube , The Bazooka is in

I still like it.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
huntsman2002crew
Regular
Regular

what size are u running
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Bazooka is in
HenryJ wrote:I am really happy with what the 6.5 adds to my stock system.
HenryJ wrote:
jeff024 wrote:I would really like to JAM the 8in behind the seat :)
Not a chance. The 6.5" is tight.
HenryJ wrote:
1337vending wrote:HenryJ, Do you think that you could put 2 of the 6.5" subs on top of each other behind the back seat?
Not enough room. It has to be all the way at the bottom and even then takes a little squeezing to latch the seat.
HenryJ wrote:I'm happy with the one that I have. It barely fits behind the seat. There is no room for a bigger diameter.
If you remove the jack there would be room for two. They are amplified...

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

I would recommend the Bazooka tube. It fit nicely behind the rear seat & the BTA6100 & BTA6200 have an internal amplifier.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
huntsman2002crew
Regular
Regular

Im 17 and in high school so naturally i want a decent amount of bass...does the 6.5 have a good amount?
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Try to fit the 8" if you want more bass. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

It hits rather well for a 6.5" woofer. stop by your local audio store and ask them to power one up for you with one of your favorite songs.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Depends on what your taste is. I really don't like the "boomy" reverberational base of the bazookas or other ported bass. My favorite is the tight sound of "aucustic suspension" speakers, but the efficiency is really bad, cause it takes allot of power to drive these type of great sounding speakers. Next is passive radiator type of suspension. The one I got is here. These are just awsome. If you really need some sound defining tight awsome base, this would be my next choice. But I get way more than enough with the first ones. Here's my install. Most people like Bazookas though, so that may be your choice. Just throwing my minority opinion out there. I'm of the old fasion type, when speakers where speakers, reproducing acurate sound without regard to power consumption. Nowadays, it's how much "boom" can virbrate the car apart. :roll:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
huntsman2002crew
Regular
Regular

I dont want an obnoxious amount i just want some extra kick...Thanks everyone for your input!
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

quickbiker wrote:Depends on what your taste is. I really don't like the "boomy" reverberational base of the bazookas or other ported bass. My favorite is the tight sound of "aucustic suspension" speakers, but the efficiency is really bad, cause it takes allot of power to drive these type of great sounding speakers. Next is passive radiator type of suspension. The one I got is here.
I think I just found the sub to buy instead of the bazooka...Thanks :D
[size=75]2003 Indigo Blue Crew Cab - EFILive custom tune, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rear sway bar, ZR5 wheels w/ BFG 30x9.5x15 AllTerrains

Future mods:
Single 6.5" Bazooka behind the backseat[/size]
huntsman2002crew
Regular
Regular

i went out a bought a 6.5 inch bazooka tube but am yet to buy an amp...im gonna put it in the next 2 weeks...exams all next week means no time for anything but studying haha school comes first
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

huntsman2002crew wrote:i went out a bought a 6.5 inch bazooka tube but am yet to buy an amp...
It doesn't have one built into it? Mine does.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

There used to be powered versions of all Bazooka's unpowered tubes. I don't know how they do things now, but I think the powered tubes are completely different spec-wise from the unpowered tubes.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
huntsman2002crew
Regular
Regular

It was a 400 watt and im still in highschool and i cant really afford much since i just purchased the truck...but i wanted an external amp for looks...im going to have the exterior of the bazooka tube painted the same color as my truck hopefully
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

1337vending wrote:
quickbiker wrote:Depends on what your taste is. I really don't like the "boomy" reverberational base of the bazookas or other ported bass. My favorite is the tight sound of "aucustic suspension" speakers, but the efficiency is really bad, cause it takes allot of power to drive these type of great sounding speakers. Next is passive radiator type of suspension. The one I got is here.
You'll really like the 180 deg phase out. I was amazed this feature is still around. I had it 20 years ago with an awsome system I installed. If your ears are acute to good sound, this feature is a must. This is the resinating freq inside a vehicle, and to block it is just amazing to the ears!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

1337vending wrote:
I just ordered one of these off ebay. I haven't been able to find a 10" sub that will fit the way I want it to so I gave up.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

What aboutthis one? It has a 10".
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

quickbiker wrote:What aboutthis one? It has a 10".
Won't fit without modding the back seat. Thats the one I wanted.
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

Well got it installed yesterday after work, well thrown in is more like it. I fought to try and get the power wire through the wiring harness on the drivers side but couldn't get my metal wire to poke the whole way through. :x So I ran it through the door jamb till it warms up or blows the fuse due to a bare wire. :lol: I used the low level RCA adapter from my 2004 Sierra to hook on the speakers. Being a 6.5" sub I wasn't expecting much. I must say it performs better then I expected. The stereo now sounds like a high end factory system. It fills in the low end that was missing before.
ejxjohnson
Regular
Regular

Post by ejxjohnson »

run the wire through the passeger side....where the atenna wire come in the cab. take the trim off the front passenger door and fold the carpet back and you will see a rubber grommit with the atenna wire comming in.....remove the grommet and run your power wire to the battery and put the grommet backin place.
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

MTX Thunderform

Post by ZR5OnIt »

Here's an easy solution for big bass. I got a used MTX Thunderform box for a Standard Cab S-10, for cheap off Ebay.
Was a tight fit, so I removed the plastic back wall cover for a bit more room. Now the Crew Cab bumps nicely!! :D
No problem getting to the jack. Had to remove jack cover to install the amp, but I think I could remount the amp so the cover would fit, if I cared enough.
Only problem, adding more bass must of knocked stuff loose, so I gotta spend a weekend chasing down mystery rattles :wink:
[size=75]2003 ZR5, 6" Superlift, cut out flares, step rails, 1.5" rear spacers, 15x8 Pro Comp 1079 wheels w/ 3.75" BS, 33/12.50-15 BFG AT-KO tires[/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

Is this a 10 inch sub? I wonder if they make a smaller size than the one that you got so you wont have to take apart the back panel. This sub option sounds good but, the bazooka sounds like it actually fits a little better. I been looking around not sure what I am going to do yet.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ZR5OnIt »

Yeah that's a 10". I don't know if there's a smaller version, maybe one is available from another manufacturer.
You could probably do the same with any wedge style box that would fit a regular cab S-10.
It actually fit with the back panel in place but I had to push hard on the seat to get it to latch. No big mods needed, just pull off the plastic panel. You can't hardly tell the difference with the seat in place cause the seat covers it up.
I'm very happy with the results. Simple solution, minimal labor, easily reversible & massive bass. :D
[size=75]2003 ZR5, 6" Superlift, cut out flares, step rails, 1.5" rear spacers, 15x8 Pro Comp 1079 wheels w/ 3.75" BS, 33/12.50-15 BFG AT-KO tires[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

ejxjohnson wrote:run the wire through the passeger side....where the atenna wire come in the cab. take the trim off the front passenger door and fold the carpet back and you will see a rubber grommit with the atenna wire comming in.....remove the grommet and run your power wire to the battery and put the grommet backin place.
Yea, he's talking about right here. I poked a new hole with a philips driver. It's leak proof and protects the wire.
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Re: MTX Thunderform

Post by Wrangler »

ZR5OnIt wrote:Image

Here's an easy solution for big bass. I got a used MTX Thunderform box for a Standard Cab S-10, for cheap off Ebay.
Was a tight fit, so I removed the plastic back wall cover for a bit more room. Now the Crew Cab bumps nicely!! :D
No problem getting to the jack. Had to remove jack cover to install the amp, but I think I could remount the amp so the cover would fit, if I cared enough.
Only problem, adding more bass must of knocked stuff loose, so I gotta spend a weekend chasing down mystery rattles :wink:
I llike it. I just got a alpine head unit, which I hope to install this coming weekend, I am now searching for one of these. The kenwood sub sounds great for what it is but I am just used to more. I have only found a amped mtx box available through MTX and I aint paying $600 for that.
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

Well I finally got my sub, amp and deck installed. For whatever reason my seat wouldn't latch like ZR5OnIts could. :cry: I had to relief cut the sheet metal around it to allow it to go back to latch the seat. The 10" MTX Thunderform is powered by a Kicker ZX400.1 Class D amp off of a Apline CE-9852 Deck/ERE-G180 EQ.

.Image

Next will be the dash speakers when I get ahead on bills. Anyone recommend any? I really rather just run them off the head unit if I could
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ZR5OnIt »

Looks tight! Nice job. My setup throws way more bass than I need, so I'm sure you'll be happy with yours. I found that the back wall vibrates to the bass, so my next step is to cover the back wall with some Dynamat or equivalent to reduce the rattles. Enjoy!
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

Now with such a tight fit with these boxes and thunderforms, When the speaker "hits" is there a problem with the articulation of the speaker. Does it hit the back of the seat and distort it.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

doughboy5499 wrote:Now with such a tight fit with these boxes and thunderforms, When the speaker "hits" is there a problem with the articulation of the speaker. Does it hit the back of the seat and distort it.
Mine does hit the seat I think but hasnt hinder the performance but I wanna finish cutting the lip out when I have time to get it back alittle more. I ran out of cutting wheels for my dremel. LOL I just cut it enough to get the seat to latch. Mine has the stock MTX sub in the box which must be a shallow sub because it doesn't move nearly as much and I am used to. These boxes are worth the money (if you can find them on ebay cheap). But you lose all your storage space
SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

Nice setups everybody!!

I am torn on what to do. I want some bass but I am not sure all those powered subwoofer setups will do me. I used to have nice systems back in my day and am worried I will get that hungry for loud again. I don't think those will do it.

I am thinking about just building a wedge box and trying once of those shallow woofers. They seem pretty popular anymore. JL Audio (whom I am a HUGE fan of) just came out with one soon to be released.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/jlaudio_pages.php?page_id=213

That and I know that Pioneer and Rockford Fosgate have them out too.
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

IMO amped subs help fill in the low end that the stock stereo lacks. The Kenwood I had was nice but I like bass. The MTX thunderform and kicker amp gave me that. I am very happy with my stereo setup now even though I miss the extra storage.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Alright people, what did y'all do as far as mounting the amps? Did you drill right through the rear wall of the cab? I was looking back there, but it seems to only be single thickness unless I remove the upper plastic panel. If I use sheet metal screws will I get water inside?? :shock:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

I always wondered that too.

I hate drilling through the cab wall. I would avoid it if at all possible. GMC just didn't think about us installing aftermarket stereos in our trucks did they? lol
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

border man wrote:Alright people, what did y'all do as far as mounting the amps? Did you drill right through the rear wall of the cab? I was looking back there, but it seems to only be single thickness unless I remove the upper plastic panel. If I use sheet metal screws will I get water inside?? :shock:
Double wall underneath the plastic. I only drilled through the inside layer. When I sale the truck the plastic will cover all the cutting and drilling I did. :D