Alternator Problems Corrected

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Alternator Problems Corrected

Post by F9K9 »

Today during my lunch hour I noticed my gauge was reading 7 volts! :yikes:

I immediately headed back to work and turned off all electrical components that were not needed. I just knew that my recently purchased 170 amp CS144 alternator went south. While dealing with traffic, I started thinking about what may be giving me the readings.........alternator, gauge, wiring or what. Then I thought about recent events. Trail riding on Sunday? Washing off the mud last night with $15 in quarters? I decided to hope for water in the connections. I got back to work and pulled off the CS130 to CS144 adapter wiring harness, slung out a little water and hooked it back up. Gauge was back to normal.

Any thoughts on preventative measures to help with this issue in the future?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Dielectric silicone. It should be used on the electrical connections to prevent oxidation, corrosion, and water intrusion.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Alternator Problems Corrected

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:Any thoughts on preventative measures to help with this issue in the future?
Dielectric Grease :D

Here is one made by MSD.

Permatex also makes some that can be found in most auto parts stores.

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks once again, Brule and Steve :thumb: I have got to find tubes of that stuff and stop with the little foil packets :lol:

I was hoping it was water but, I really never sprayed water anywhere up close and was careful to protect the K&N, alternator and distributer. Is there a need to be concerned about applying to much? I would assume that it does not conduct electricity.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... Is there a need to be concerned about applying to much?
Not really. I like the plastic tubes better than the aluminum tubes. I always seem to get a leak in the metal ones and end up wasting too much, as well as making a mess. You may not find a choice though.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Some companies also make a pressurized dispenser. 8)

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks again but. Steve...............

Stuff moves from west to east in the marketing arena. I have seen it happen for a few years. That last product may arrive on the shelves here before I croak but, chances are it won't :lol:

Remember the truck bed fiberglass "cabs" that sloped back towards the tailgate about 8 yrs ago? I saw them when I worked the border west of San Diego. Thank Gawd, they haven't reached here yet or they died enroute :lol: