Auto dim mirror performance

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Auto dim mirror performance

Post by HenryJ »

I guess it works?

Just back from a long trip I finally had time to check out the auto dim mirror, I think.
It is really tough for me to judge when it is functioning. My spare tire tends to shadow the headlights of a vehicle behind me and perhaps shadows the sensor as well?
It must be working though. I did not find the need to duck away from the mirror, and a few times I think I was able to detect a greenish tint to the image.
I am glad that I added it, but I can't really say that I would go out of my way to install one. I don't drive much at night if I can help it (more of a morning person ;) ) and the spare tire I have on the back acts as a nice buffer. Others may have different views.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

I love the one in the wifes Bravada, or I should say loved as the guy who put in the new windshield broke the wires and now it does not work.

I know that on ours you could definatly tell when it was working, and that was with the factory tinted rear glass. No spare tire hanging off the back on a Bravada though.

Now you just need to get the matching tinting side mirror to go with that rear view.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Snoman002 wrote:...Now you just need to get the matching tinting side mirror to go with that rear view.
Now that would be cool! Do they make a auto dimming , heated side mirror?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

HenryJ wrote:
Snoman002 wrote:...Now you just need to get the matching tinting side mirror to go with that rear view.
Now that would be cool! Do they make a auto dimming , heated side mirror?
Yes, my Bravada has it (both tinting and heated). If you used a OEM auto dimming mirror rear view you should be able to just plug a Bravada (and others I'm sure) drivers side mirror to the rear view mirror and have them work together (drivers side only, pass side does not dimm.).
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'll have to keep my eyes open for one , thx.

EDIT: Now I have an idea what that extra plug may have been on digger's harness-
24digger wrote:... the extra plug that I had was for the auto dim mirror :(
see pics below

...Henryj yours didn't have an extra plug for your auto dim mirror?
I bet that may go to the auto dimming side mirror?

Mine did not have the extra wires in the harness from the mirror, so I would bet that it does not include the wiring needed for the side mirror.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I knew I should have left that harness alone :bonk:
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I did a little checking on the auto dimming side mirror. This salvage yard knows what they have and want $100 for one. They can get aftermarket for $75. :(
I'd like to have one, but I'm not sure what additional wiring would be needed, or if my harness has it already. At that price I think I'll wait for a better deal.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Fza
Regular
Regular

Post by Fza »

I just finished installing power ,heated, and drivers side auto dim side mirrors. The only wires you need are the pink and gray coming off the rearview and you hook them up to the pink and gray wire on the drivers side mirror. its real easy the auto dim rear view controls the side mirror, ie: they dim at the same time. I really like it , you just use the pink and gray wires from the rearview:

4 - GRA - Automatic Day/Night Mirror Signal - Outside

5 - PNK - Automatic Day/Night Mirror Return - Outside

I brought the Dimming side mirror from s-10warehouse for $100 shipped, but i feel it was worth it :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thanks!
I take it you ran your own wires?

I'm wondering if they are in the crew cab harness already?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Fza
Regular
Regular

Post by Fza »

Yea i ran my own, only thing is i dont have a CC i havea 2002 reg cab :( , but i think the wireing is the same i checked it out, the wires were not there so i just ran my own. its really easy.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

8)
The crew cabs and other utilities have a different wiring harness from the pick-ups.

Good to know what wires to watch for though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Fza
Regular
Regular

Post by Fza »

I was wondering if you hooked up the up 3 - LT GRN - Fuse Output - Backup Lamps - Type III Fuse , so when your backing up the auto dim mirror turns off. I wanna hook that wire up but im not sure where I should tap into the reverse lights at?
[size=75]2002 S-10 4.3 Reg Cab
Power everything
Auto dim rearview and side mirror
Overhead console (short)
center console
sunfire seats[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

For the utilities it is easy since it is already there in the C209 connector.
You'll have to dig a little deeper for the pick-up, sorry.

EDIT: Looks like the wires to the back-up lamp switch are pink from the 25A fuse and the gray. The gray wire goes to the underhood distribution center and from that fuse to the tail lamps the wire is light green.

My guess is that tapping at the fuse under the hood would be the easiest?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Fza wrote:I was wondering if you hooked up the up 3 - LT GRN - Fuse Output - Backup Lamps - Type III Fuse , so when your backing up the auto dim mirror turns off. I wanna hook that wire up but im not sure where I should tap into the reverse lights at?
BTW...... Welcome Aboard :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Fza
Regular
Regular

Post by Fza »

Glad to be here thanks, ok ill try tapping it at the fuse thanks, ill keep you posted
[size=75]2002 S-10 4.3 Reg Cab
Power everything
Auto dim rearview and side mirror
Overhead console (short)
center console
sunfire seats[/size]