CB radios

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

CB radios

Post by Warnoffroad »

Hey Hobie or anyone that has done there CB like him. I wanna do mine just like that. I hate cutting and drilling into my truck, but how did you run the antena wire from the cab to the bed? What did you do first second third......?
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

I got a handheld combo

Midland 75-832

http://www.bills2way.com/equip/mid75830.html

This allows you to use it as a handheld full power CB or slide out the battery pack and use a lighter plug power plus an external ant. I ended up using a Wilson1000 mag mount cause I move the CB from truck to truck.

Down fall of a mag mount is that low trees will knock it over. Since you have a roof rack, you could get a rack mounted ant.

I bought my stuff from CBRadio.com

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

thats awasome but I want somthing like hobies set up thanks anyways
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

does anyone know any thing about getting them tuned or is not required?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I bolted mine in where the ashtray was. and used a glass mount antenna. The forward reception is pretty good, but I'm working with an old lousy CB.

Here are some links:

Setting the SWR of your antenna

CB antenna information

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

warnoffroad wrote:does anyone know any thing about getting them tuned or is not required?

When I got my Wilson Ant., it was in two pieces. In there instructions, they said to push it down an inch and it should be close. I was not certain so I bought a SWR meter from Radio Shack and sure enough, it was dead on for the lower channels and just a tad from perfect in the high channels, but still within specs. I orignally wanted a K40 Ant. as I knew people with them and they had great range. But the Wilson appears to be a better Ant. and is suppose to be better performance than a K40. The Whip of the Wilson is thinner than the K40 so it sways more though.

As for "Peak"ing the CB unit, it depends on the CB itself. Some units are already peaked and some places will peak them for you. Some of the older CBs you could peak it to about 20watts(I had a Radio Shack cheapo that could do that). But most now a days you can't get past 7watts(or none at all).

Do a google seach on CB radio and you will find places that will sell you peaked units, or tell you the ones that can be.

cheers,

con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Do you know if firestik antenas are any good? and how did you run the antena wire from the radio to the rear window?
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

warnoffroad wrote:Do you know if firestik antenas are any good? and how did you run the antena wire from the radio to the rear window?

I had a firestick on my old Trooper. They are good also and come tuned already. Since mine were mag mounts, I just run it through a door opening. I think Quickbiker has a firestick he mounted to his rear bumper. I assume he went through the floor to get the cable back there.

This is probably the best performing setup with an even ground plane:

Cheers,

Con
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Thank you so much for your help

Does any one know if firestik antenas are good? Alos how do you run the antena wire from the radio to the bed? As in where to drill the holes, and what to cut.

Added your duplicate post here-HJ
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I mounted mine to the side of the counsel. I have a Cobra CB with Wilson tunable whip mounted on the bumper. The wire is completely hiden. Ran the wire into the inside of the center counsel to the rear of it and under the carpet through the drain plug under the rear seat, well kinda in front of the rear seat on the floor and then inside the fram to the under side of the rear bumper. I really like the location and can hear the CB well without the need for an external speaker. I'll have to write something up on it.

The center ones on the roof are the best for omni directional xmting, but I've found my bumper mount never to fail me and everyone always hears me excellent, more clear than most, except for one guy that always brings his ultimate radio from his 18 wheeler. But for a trail rig, the roof mounted antenas get knocked around allot, and my old roof mount got knocked off allot being mag mount.

The antena is very easy to tune using an SWR meter from radio shack. Very adviseable to tune a CB for best xmting.

Here is a pic of my bump mount. A bit tilted now from me backing into a tree. LOL

[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

:lol: my friends mom had a tahoe with the split doors in the rear and the bar in the middle blocked her view of a tree and she backed up into one the frist day she had it :lol: :lol:

anyway how did run the wire under the carpet? How did you pull up the carpet?
scotty

fiire stick

Post by scotty »

A fire stick is good and that you have to get tuned in to make it work.

My self i like to have and will put on a 102" fiber glass antenna.

Since i have a ssb radio with upper cannel's 8)

Scotty
Just got our red s-10 crew cab. This is our third truck. All s-10 This one all i can say is it is awsome!!!!!
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

me and brule have the same cb set up in the dash. it looks OEM. i got the one from radio shack cuz its the same gray as the dash. the most important thing with your set up is the ant and its tunning. it doesnt matter how expensive your radio is.....if you get a magnet mounted one, put it on your roof and it will be almost at perfect tunning cuz the manufacturer has preset the height, length, gage, etc... as long as you dont have it crimped, it will be good. that pic of the taco is my friend brett, that is the most optimum place for the antenna. but that is a bad permanent place cuz the roof can buckle and its weak in the middle. firestick and cobra are good antennas, just pick one up from fry's. but, when you get your own ant, you have to get your own cable, and there are lots of variables including grounding. you can get an swr meter, i am personally and slowly working on a permanent mount so i dont have to use my magnet, but its way hard to get this sucker tuned right. i either have too long of a cable or the ant is too tall and so forth.

if you have a little money, i would get the cb you want and take it to a cb shop and have them install if for you right in the middle of your roof rack. and be done with it :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

I got a 5 ft firestik 2 and the cobra thats in that one pic in the mods section.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Is that a firestick that I got in the pic above? I usually call it a whip, but I know a whip is usuall all stanless metal.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

a2b wrote:me and brule have the same cb set up in the dash. it looks OEM. i got the one from radio shack cuz its the same gray as the dash.
Have any photos been posted already? I did a quick search and didn't find anything. If not, would either of you mind posting some? or, maybe a link to the radio's manufacturer? or, just the make/model info?

thanks in advance
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine is an old Cobra "19".

Here is the updated version that several of them are using : Cobra 19DX on ebay

Here is a thread on ZR2.com talking about the Uniden

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

NICE...

Thanks for the pic and info. Color looks damn close. And, that fits nicely in the ashtray space?
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

HenryJ wrote:Mine is an old Cobra "19".

Here is the updated version that several of them are using : Cobra 19DX on ebay

Here is a thread on ZR2.com talking about the Uniden

That's a great little CB. That is the exact one that I have. I mount it on the side of the middle tray on the passanger side. I get great sound and reception and xmit. Nothin fancy, but who needs fancy?
jayall23
Regular
Regular

cb options

Post by jayall23 »

I own a 2001 s10 crew cab and wanted to mount a cb in it. Although I don't use the ashtray, I did not just want to chunk it. I removed the cassette player in the floor console, by removing the cover pushing down on two thumb clips and removing two screws. A small radio shack or cobra cb will fit in perfect. Mine is a radio shack trc-520. I know not all crew cabs have the cassette player in the floor, but if it does this will be a perfect fit, if you want to keep the ashtray.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Well mine is an 02 so mine is in the dash. I ended up just pulling off the ashtray. Thanks anyway
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]