Fiberglass?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Fiberglass?

Post by camelott112 »

Anybody ever tried to lay fiberglass i have found a couple how to sites but nothing too great just needed some help if all goes well i think i may make some finders for myself but i figured i would use it for my subs first
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have played with fiberglass quite a bit.
I've laid glass over marine plywood on a boat years ago, Fabbed front valance and rear roll pan for the HenryJ, cast my head and built a replica from fiberglass for building appliances , built a front cap for a AM General 40' motorhome.

I'm no expert, but can give you what little information that I have.

What do you want to know?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
zr2berger

Post by zr2berger »

i would like to know where u get the stuff at to do it. I want to make a customer fiberglass box.
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

home depot will have it all
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

i found a great how to site on laying pics and all i actually thought i was looking at one of hj's info sites but here is the link glass laying[url]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

camelott112 wrote:i found a great how to site on laying pics and all i actually thought i was looking at one of hj's info sites but here is the link glass laying
Excellent stuff! Thanks for the link.
Nice to see "low buck" masking used.

I have used gas welding rod weaved and covered with masking tape to free form compound curves like in the front valance for my HenryJ-
(It is that piece under the grille.)

If you have a chemical supply warehouse in your area , buy a gallon of Polyvinyl alcohol . It is a release agent for fiberglass. A coating of that on the mold surface makes things seperate much easier. The polyvinyl alcohol is water soluble, so you squirt it with water and it melts away releasing the fiberglass from the object being cast.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Re: Fiberglass?

Post by Jim »

camelott112 wrote:Anybody ever tried to lay fiberglass i have found a couple how to sites but nothing too great just needed some help if all goes well i think i may make some finders for myself but i figured i would use it for my subs first
I probably have more experience with fiberglass than I really want to remember. Thoughts I'd rather forget: Cold showers to releve the itching, covered with the white dust from head to toe except where my mask was, asked to walk outside to blow myself off & cleaning up the mess. When you have some experience with glass & want to tackle fenders I can fill you in on the ins & outs of using fiberglass on exposed body panels.
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/og1/members/jimpics/jim.htm
See Other info on this page...man is that in need of updating It's the "late" Chip Miller & my son is now 17
http://www.chipmiller.org the purple 59 he is shown sitting in front of was sitting behind the Corvette shop with weeds growing around it when I was 17.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

i will definately shoot you a holler when i need we actually may be able to do them together i am origionally from erie i see your from lancastor thats not to far at all ill be home in about 10 days wish i was going to have my truck but its gotta stay here in alaska
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

ok so when i lay the glass do i do it inside the fleece on the inside of the box or do i do it outside the fleece on the outside any tricks or tips from those of you who know that may help me out when i do the whole thing ill do a write up but i just had some last minute questions
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

hj...jim...do either of you know at all???
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'm sorry, I don't fully understand what you are doing here.

Are you 'glassing over MDF board? And you want to know inside or out?

If your plan is the upholster over it I wouldn't waste time on 'glassing at all. Don't most just seal the seams , paint the board and cover the box? I am by no means a good person to ask about building audio boxes. I can help tell you how to do the 'glassing, but not the correct way to build the box.

If you are building a box from fiberglass and using the board strictly as a mold, then which ever side gives you the desired dimension, inside or out.

If you are glassing to add rigidity to the box, then I'd probably do the outside.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

here is a quick basic layout
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

hope that gives someone a general outlook wo i can get some input on the best way to get this done
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

oh i see i put all that time and hard work into a drawing and you guys leave me hanging man talk about deserted in desperation hahaha oh well if you have an idea let me know if not ill get some stuff figured out and post something for you
Jim

Post by Jim »

camelott112 wrote:oh i see i put all that time and hard work into a drawing and you guys leave me hanging man talk about deserted in desperation hahaha oh well if you have an idea let me know if not ill get some stuff figured out and post something for you
Maybe I'm to old to understand your drawing...I don't even listen to my sound system. Image
Last edited by Jim on Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sorry to be critical here, but that drawing just looks like someone rubbed a crayon on some boxes.
It doesn't help me visualize what you are doing.
I think your best help will be that site that you linked. And you are going to have to be the one who lays it out since you have the picture clearly in your mind.

You might keep the expandable foam and sheet styrofoam as an option for sculpting the form to be cast.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Ok-- sorry for the delay

Stretch the fleece around your forms and fiberglass from the ouside first

If you only do from the front side you'd never be able to sand the surface smooth, as it would be more fabric than fiberglass.

lemme see if I have some pics on my website
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Ok--here's a few pics of how I was building the trimpanel/cover for the amprack I never finished.

Basic forms:

Test fitted:

And with the fleece stretched for the compund curves:
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

chris is that flame on the top going to stay there i have seen pretty exotic designs on boxes i just didnt know how they were done you just resin and glass right over it?
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

that was an experiment -- I eventually decided to lose that. It was too tall, and I would have never been able to get vinyl to stretch over it and stay stretched. Well, not with the vinyl I was gonna buy -- there is some really nice stuff - that runs about $20 a yard that will stretch amazingly well - but it's all a moot point now.

I could have probably woorked trunkliner material around it all though.

Once I hooked up my amps and found one of them was DOA and out of warranty - long story - I ripped everything back out.

Then I found this site and decided I needed cargo room anyway :-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

IF U STILL NEED HELP EMAIL ME OR POST HERE ..
TRAI_38@YAOO.COM
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK