Sat. radio system installation done

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Sat. radio system installation done

Post by mjmcdowell »

Installed a sat. radio system in my 20002 CC this past weekend, it works great! and the install was not dificult at all. I mounted the antenna just to the left of the third brake light, it is about 11/2 x 11/2x 1/2 or so and has a powerful magnet so it sticks to sheet metal like the grim death. I ran the wire in the seam along the roof line to the left then in the seam at the rear of the left rear door then under the headliner and pillers up to the windshield under the plastic trim all the way to the dash then in a seam on the left side of the dash near the door jam then under the plastic trim on the front of the dash to a point just above the right dash vent, Whew!! I mounted the radio with the vent mount supplied and closed the vent so as not to roast the unit ( I live where we get cold winters and lots of snow and we are having one good nor'easter right now as I type this) the loss of that vent did not affect heat in the truck today one bit. I ran the power cord thru the the dash under the vent thru the dash trim I had to pry it out very carefully and was careful not to break any thing then ran it down a seam on the right side to the aux. power outlets, vola!!, done, plug in the antenna and power cords adjust the cord lengths to where you want them and carefully make a long bundle of wire secure with one piece of the sprial wire wrap included and carefully place under the right side dash trim and push it back in place, it snaps in. Now use another length of the sprial wrap to secure a small bundle of the cord on the casset tape insert that integrates the unit to the oem speakers and lastly I put a piece of the accordian wire split tubing,( not included ) for a very sanitary install. Oh yes then follow mfg. ins. to activate, this install was for the XM system which gives me the particulr programming I like. mine is the " Roady 2 model. Just thought I would post this. If any body has questions post the I,ll try to answer them, install time about 2 hrs. stay safe, mjmcdowell
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

Wow, no offense but you kinda did all that the hard way!

#1 You can pop out the 3rd brake light and run the wire inside the cab at that point rather than going in through a door. Then under the headliner, down the A-pillar and across under the bottom dash cover.

#2 Get a pro-fit mount that will mount the unit to the right of the climate control unit. No blocked vents and the wires pop out of the dash right by the mount.

#3 Do a little wiring and get power from the fusebox instead of the 12V outlet. Much cleaner w/o plugs in the outlets plus you don't have to shut it off.

#4 Get the interface to bring the signal into the radio rather than using the Cassette.

I've had the XM Skyphi in my Jimmy for almost a year now. It's all wired in nice and clean and is powered when the radio is powered meaning it stays on with the key off like the radio but shuts off when I open the door. The signal goes into the back of the radio using the antenna plug. I just tune the radio to 87.9 and get a nice crisp signal.

Pics:

(Notice my 2 12v outlets are unused)

Antenna on roof

Steve
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]