Spotlights?

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Spotlights?

Post by kf6kmx »

Ok, has anyone seen any S10's with post mounted spotlight? Is there a good one that works without a large headache and looks good?
Something like these:
http://www.superiorsignals.com/illuminator/illum4.html
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

you are trying to biuld a little fire truck, next you will be asking if anybody has seen a pumper unit,or a ladder system for our trucks :lol: , wait, me too :oops:
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Maximous wrote:you are trying to biuld a little fire truck, next you will be asking if anybody has seen a pumper unit,or a ladder system for our trucks :lol: , wait, me too :oops:
hmm.. too bad the xfer case doesnt have a PTO on these .. hmmm... :wink:

I carry a rechargable 1,000,000cdlpwr handheld in my toolbox, but it would be nice to have a nice looking built in that would 1) hold itself, 2) no cords and no charging.. :)

It would be nice on trails when it gets dark to be able to change the air of the light without having to turn the whole truck.. Biggest use would probably be around 4th of July.. I'm one of the volunteers that works with CDF (Ca. Dept of Forestry) Tulare Ranger unit to patrol for fires started by fireworks.. we usually end up out pretty late checking some pretty bad areas..
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You can follow this page to the size chart to find a spotlight that fits our crews.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

f9k9 wrote:You can follow this page to the size chart to find a spotlight that fits our crews.
Tats the ones! Thanks!
Wonder how lose look on the CC.. It shows the newer S10 has to be a door mount instead of a post mount.. Anywone seen any photos of one on a newer S10? I know on the older model it would spin around backwards and blend into the mirror and not be real noticeable when not in use..
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kf6kmx wrote:...It would be nice on trails when it gets dark to be able to change the air of the light without having to turn the whole truck..
Optronics Motion Pro 1000™ Remote Control Spotlight, black $79.99

Overtons wrote:These multi-directional remote control lights have a dual spot/area activation switch. As a spot it provides 500,000 candlepower for long range illumination; as an area light it offers a low amp raw for coverage of the immediate area. Corded remote rotates the light vertically and 340° horizontally at the touch of a button. Features weather-resistant durable housing, easy suction mount, and quick Velcro® remote control mounting. 15' 12V power cord. 9' remote control cord.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
eugene
Regular
Regular

Post by eugene »

Maximous wrote:you are trying to biuld a little fire truck, next you will be asking if anybody has seen a pumper unit,or a ladder system for our trucks :lol: , wait, me too :oops:
I was in Maritta OH a few years back and came out of one of the stores their and a first gen S10 firetruck was parked there. Fire engine red with a S10 sized contractor bed and all the lights and such and MFD (Marietta Fire Dept) painted on the door. Wife thought I was crazy when i wanted to take pics so I didn't take any.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

kf6kmx wrote:Tats the ones! Thanks!
Wonder how lose look on the CC.. It shows the newer S10 has to be a door mount instead of a post mount.. Anywone seen any photos of one on a newer S10? I know on the older model it would spin around backwards and blend into the mirror and not be real noticeable when not in use..

Would like to believe there is a pillar mount for 2nd gen S-10s. I know that the door mount in a PITA. Supervisor ordered our last law enforcement packaged Tahoes w/o optional spotlights which would have been pillar mounted. Instead we had the door mounted ones. The whole point of spotlights in LE rigs is to provide an advantage on a vehicle stop after dark. Shine the "spot" on the driver's rearview mirror to gain a little advantage in being able to approach the driver with a little stealth. Then open a door with a light mounted on it and it is all down the drain.

Oh well :lol:

Any restrictions in CA about non emergency vehicles using spots after dark? It's a game violation here if you have a firearm onboard. Goodbye firearm and vehicle if found illegal.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

f9k9 wrote: Would like to believe there is a pillar mount for 2nd gen S-10s. I know that the door mount in a PITA. Supervisor ordered our last law enforcement packaged Tahoes w/o optional spotlights which would have been pillar mounted. Instead we had the door mounted ones. The whole point of spotlights in LE rigs is to provide an advantage on a vehicle stop after dark. Shine the "spot" on the driver's rearview mirror to gain a little advantage in being able to approach the driver with a little stealth. Then open a door with a light mounted on it and it is all down the drain.

Oh well :lol:

Any restrictions in CA about non emergency vehicles using spots after dark? It's a game violation here if you have a firearm onboard. Goodbye firearm and vehicle if found illegal.
Yeah, of your not pulling someone over there is still the problem of whatever you have the light aimed at, when you open the door, aim is gone.. One big use I'd have for it (primary one probably) is doing the search & rescue work and fire patrols.. really don't want the light moving when you open the door.. plus the door mounted ones I'd seen have always been awkward to operate due to the way they always seem to end up mounted on the door, putting the handles at weird angles..

No restrictions that I am aware of, except probably not being able to run it going down the hwy :) There definitely isn't a restriction on off highway use on pickups.. just looks around at all the farm trucks around here.. nearly every one of them has either a pillar mount or roof mount.. never liked the way the roof ones end up looking though.
I prefer the ones that are right in front and slightly above the mirrors.. I know our local PD just bought a standard cab Colorado (now THERES a funny looking truck :shock: .. the shape of the standard cab truck, plus the white doors on black, it looks like an old keystone cops truck that should be in a parade or an old movie.. I'll have to try and get a picture of it if I catch it out running around and post it..
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by KCustom »

The only people who use thoes where I come from use them to hunt at night :roll:
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...