Audio Talk Radio opening question

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Audio Talk Radio opening question

Post by Conman »

Hi,
I just bought a head unit bracket kit for a friend's Lumina(to put in an aftermarket radio) and the kit also works for S10s. I was looking at the kit and it has a note for 02 s10s. It only works on the "GM style radio openings" for certain 02(and I'm assuming 03 and 04). I did not realize that my 02 with the 6disc changer was larger(taller) than the DIN.5 GM type opening of the older GM vehicles. So I was wondering if this means that the bigger opening is a Double DIN opening now or still larger than the DIN.5 opening but smaller than Double DIN?

Also, does that mean the dash of the 01 is different than the late 02(and up) around the radio opening? Just curious.

Thanks,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Just to answer my own question, yes it does appear that certain 02 an up s10s use what is called "oversized Delco" radio openings. I found two head unit kits and one is a DIN opening plus pocket and another is Two DIN opening or Double DIN

Part numbers for those interested:

American International
Din plus pocket is GM-K420
TWO DIN or Double DIN is GM-K422

Pics and info here: http://www.americaninternational.net/ai ... log-v1.pdf

Cheers,
Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

to keep talking to myself, I'm thinking about a new radio. Was wondering what head units you guys like? I like Pioneer Units, but I've owned Kenwood, Clarion, and Sony as well.

The ones with LCD screens built in are nice esp. with Navigation/GPS. Pioneer LCD screen is touch screen so that's nice.

Thanks,
Con
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Dash Kit...

Post by KCustom »

My 03 uses the same kit as a Saturn and wiring harness as well. I put a Kenwood 910 DVD in my dash and love it....
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by KCustom »

I add the GPS and the dolby digital processor as well. The GPS is really cool but I could live without the surround sound
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: ...

Post by Conman »

KCustom wrote:I add the GPS and the dolby digital processor as well. The GPS is really cool but I could live without the surround sound
Where did you put the GPS and the Surround sound boxes(brains)? I have the leather power seats and there does not appear to be any/much room under the seats.

Just checked Kenwood's Site, I like this model:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/produ ... uctId=2557

Very cool, Looks just like the one in the Caddy's that have GPS. I like that it will fill out the opening. But a flipout LCD radio would free up room for another DIN product. with that double din kit.

Pricey but cool.

Update: Not sure it will fit as Crutchfield says it does not fit. :( It's cheaper than most flipout LCD radios too. I sent them an email and we will see. Maybe they just don't have a mounting kit so they say it won't fit or maybe it's too deep.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DG1DrajeZf ... 113DDX7015

Cheers,
Con
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Check this out for your kenwood:
http://www.phatnoise.com/forum/showthre ... perpage=15
New version of the music keg. Appears to be able to support Wifi and external USB connected storage(like an Ipod and maybe a USB Harddrive). People are asking if it will support video files and if so, I'm def. going to get this. Good thing about not buying a new truck to pay for these toys. :)

Cheers,
Con
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

brains?

Post by KCustom »

My wife tell me I have no brain...LOL. I do not have power seats so I had room to put them under my seats. I put the GPS drive in the custom center console that I built between the rear buckets....
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

http://www.americaninternational.net/np ... 22-npr.pdf

one page pdf for the double din kit.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Found another double din or two din headunit install kit:
http://www.audiooutfitter.com/cgi-bin/s ... -2003.html

Brand Metra model 99-2003
Metra 99-2003