Gauge bezel install gone bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Gauge bezel install gone bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by 2bunik »

:cry: ALRIGHT I know everyone one has there own way to modify a truck.So first I decided to spark up the interior with this wonderful gague bezel.
sounds simple enough. that is till i was sitting on the floor next to my entire gauge cluster and couldnt figure out how to remove the clear piece from the front of my cluster. Ive done two of these installs before this one.... This truck was the hardest to mod. the clear acrylic in front of the gauges is only about 1 cm thick and it was melted rigt to the gauge bezel. I guess GM didnt want to spend money on glue so they melted it. :lol: I busted out the handy dremel and cut away. and when i was done I couldnt glue the two pieces back together. so after some super glue, duck tape, and two hours. it finally stayed together. It sure looks good but if your thinking of buying this bezel cover. either DONT ..or figure a way to remove the clear piece first. the only reason I went on with it was cause I couldnt return the item. Just thought I would post this so in the future some one can look it up..
OH AND IF SOMEONE HAS DONE THIS BEFORE AND HAS A SOLUTION PLEASE POST IT. CAUSE I WANT TO KNOW AND IT SURE WOULD BE SOME GREAT HELP TO OTHER CC OWNERS.
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Been there...done that. :D But I didn't have a Dremel, so I used a razor blade and busted the glass. So I just broke all of the glass off and installed the bezel and left the glass off. Problem solved. :lol:

You might try and get some plastic cement from a model or craft shop. It might work a little better and neater than the super glue/duct tape method. :D
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
mi2kga
Regular
Regular

Post by mi2kga »

its all zal with plexi and all is about $10.00 at yhe dealer...
I s### myself when the guy that was helping me hold mine twisted it and broke it. I called my part guy and he laughed and said come get it, we have it in stock!!!

kent
Thanks

Kent
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

i have the same piece but havent installed it, a buddy of mine noted to me that some places taht work with lastic can melt the clear cover off and instal the billet piece and remelt the covert back on but - i havent found a place to do it yet but would love to find a way to do it - i dont know about super glue and duct tape, i kinda want to keep the clean look for shows _or did u just use duct tape to hold together till the glue dried?
[size=75]GO BIG or Go Home
SFA - Dana 44 - front & rear - 4.88 gears - 39.5x15x20's[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

wouldn't it be a WHOLE LOT easier to just get a sheet of clear plexiglass and trace the whole bezel then cut out and glue to the back? if ya screw it up you can always go get another slice and try again. and, you've got the extra bonus of still having the original gauge cluster thingie for when you come to your senses and realize how girlie it looks.
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

Thanks for the info i'll take it into consideration since i want to install a white face guages...
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

installing white guages is a piece of cake.. you dont need to remove the clear piece..
barch97
you've got the extra bonus of still having the original gauge cluster thingie for when you come to your senses and realize how girlie it looks.
TO EACH HIS OWN.... :roll:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
jmb222
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jmb222 »

How do you install white face gauges without removing anything? I know you have to remove the dash, but how? I've never done this because I didn't want to remove the needles (and have them wrong forever) or break the cover.

Thanks
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Most white face gauge overlays will require you to remove the needles. Unless you got one that specifically says that you don't have to remove them, plan on it.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

have the same piece but havent installed it, a buddy of mine noted to me that some places taht work with lastic can melt the clear cover off and instal the billet piece and remelt the covert back on but - i havent found a place to do it yet but would love to find a way to do it
you can use a plastic welder kit with the heat turned down low. You can buy one at any harbor frieght stor for about 30 bucks. I use mine for fixing cracks in motorcycle farings that come into the shop.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
weaselmf

Post by weaselmf »

I installed the carbon fiber version and just cut around the top and down the sides a little way. Don't pull it back too far or yes it will break, but by only cutting as little as necessary, you only have to glue a few places across the top and the plastic dosen't move because it is stll secured at the bottom. Then when you out your dash bezel back on with the screw, it hides all of this and helps hold it back.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:bump:

I really like white gauge faces but, this doesn't look like much fun. Has anyone done it lately? If so, what procedure did you use?

I'd love to see how 2bunik did his.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]