Battery Brain

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Battery Brain

Post by HenryJ »

Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I like that idea. I ordered a Platinum model to do a little field testing with. Looks like these are adjustable versus the ones in emergency services catalogs that are a tad higher in change. I ordered it from nearby but, it looks like they hammered me in shipping and tax. Still $40 off msrp!

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'll be watching. I have thought about these several times.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:I'll be watching..........
I am trying out this for a couple of ridiculous reasons.

1. A club member, who is a manager at a local parts chain store, assured me that returns have almost dropped to 0 on Optimas purchased in the last 18 months and he gave me a killer deal on a red top. Yeah I know, mistake #1.

2. I yanked the fuse for my dome lights in the heep due to running without doors. This also eliminated the buzzer for when the lights are left on with ignition off. Therefore I already have shortened the red top's lifespan and cannot give it a decent review! I am going with a cut off switch for the dome light next yr.

3. There is a big debate going on with all kinds of tech talk of solenoids and high amp fuses for preventing thugs from screwing with winches. I am sitting back and just thinking about your battery cut off mod. $15 and be done with it. :lol:

I will keep you up to date.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Mine arrived today but, I am a tad perplexed. You have a choice of making sure that it is armed (will not start) and disarmed (will start). Both of those will keep voltage going to the clock and ecm. Then the remote has a button to fully disconnect and that would cut off all juice and you would lose your radio channels and any SES/MIL codes would be cleared. It has a buzzer to verify that it is on or off.

What is confusing me is that it has a vibration sensor that needs to be placed on a plastic part of the engine or intake. All the instructions are well written and everything explained EXCEPT the purpose of a vibration sensor. Anyone have a clue why it is needed?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... everything explained EXCEPT the purpose of a vibration sensor. Anyone have a clue why it is needed?
So it can not disconnect with the engine running?
That might fry an alternator.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Tampering?
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Brule has it right, it's to keep it from shutting down while engine is running without it it could shut off when at a light in idle if you were drawing a lot of juice.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:Brule has it right, it's to keep it from shutting down while engine is running without it it could shut off when at a light in idle if you were drawing a lot of juice.
I did think of that but, remember bone head moves that I have performed in the past. :oops:

I have been known to remove a battery, while keeping the engine running, to make a core return. It's been a decade or more since I did that.

I was also concerned how heavy amp draw will affect it. It is allegedly rated for 1100 amps. During heavy winching the battery might drop below the cut off volt setting of 11.8 and throw a wrench into the fray. The install looks easy but, will probably draw the usual stray flock of ducks to my location. Hopefully the pool's cover will prevent any accidental drownings.

Going on a ride this Sat on a couple of rough trails and I should have it installed by them. We'll see.