Cruise Control Fuse #3 10A blows

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

blurd

Cruise Control Fuse #3 10A blows

Post by blurd »

Hi all.

I started it up and the gear indicator was not illuminated, the gas gauge froze, and the temp gauge was at 0. It drove all right for a month or so, then I finally figured out, the cruise control fuse had blown.
I replaced it and all was well for two weeks, then once again blown. So I replaced it again, blew, then the car would not start. Replaced ignition harness, car stared, but fuse blew instantly.
Fuel Injectors caused a misfire (cylinder 2) so I replaced fuel injectors, all was well, then fuse blew again.
Found the hidden location of the vacuum line for the vacuum reservoir (drivers front fender) and I replaced and reconnected that hose. All was well again for a week or so then blown fuse.

I have ~20A coming across the Cruise Control fuse when I turn the ignition to Hot, so anytime I put a 10A in, it's toast.

I also found this plug loose and this plug receptacle empty but they are not mates (under driver dash) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-m8Gp ... dCLWUzRDQ0

Any ideas?
Thanks.
2003 S-10 Crew ZR5 swapped rear end with 8.5" ring gear from ZR2
blurd

Re: Cruise Control Fuse #3 10A blows

Post by blurd »

I just measured voltage across the cruise control fuse and it spiked to .5 volts when I turn on the high beams with the ignition off , can anyone confirm if that is normal?

Also sorry I forgot to mention, I have a 2003 S-10 ZR5
blurd

Post by blurd »

Ok, never mind about the voltage check. I bought a new cruise control/turn signal switch, so I guess thats the latest theory. I suppose if I knocked out the ignition harness its not out of question that I could have damaged that switch as well or maybe it is the cause. Here is to hoping.
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Just curious if you have noticed that the fuse blows when you are doing a certain thing with the vehicle. Hitting a bump, turning, any pattern to it? Are you using cruise when the fuse blows?
blurd

Post by blurd »

It always blows on ignition, except twice during normal driving conditions.

I rode with the cruise control switch on for years, but rarely ever engaged it. I have it off now, I have tried it with the switch on and off, still blows fuse upon ignition.

I had water coming in on my passenger floor from hvac since my vacuum line had rotted off and I thought that maybe the water might have caused a short, but I can't find any.

I have the dash off, looking for this short, the new turn signal lever comes tomorrow, so hopefully the problem lies there.
blurd

Post by blurd »

well it wasn't the multi-function switch (turn signal lever), so the hunt continues. :?
blurd

Post by blurd »

Well, I found that B1 in the connector near the transfer case module on the passenger side is grounded. So I started chasing it. It goes to a splice pack (sp200) with two other wires. One of those wires is grounded. It goes along the firewall then it goes under the drivers seat into the seat belt connector where once again it is spliced and another wire goes across the back seat floor.

... so at this point I have nearly the whole truck taken apart, still haven't figured this out. The brown wire chase continues after I remove all the seats.

BTW the Torx T50 bolts that hold the seats in are a real PITA. Definitely get a few T50 bits, I broke one instantly on my first go. Penetrating oil and full torque on the impact gun going forward and reverse finally budged it.
blurd

Post by blurd »

Well I fixed it, there was a harness underneath the passenger seat for heated seats and lumbar. I don't have power seats or lumbar or heated seats, but the harness was there completely disconnected and it was along the floor pan, so the water leak from before shorted the wires in the harness.

So basically if your cruise fuse blows it goes from the fuse panel on the left of your dash across to the big connector behind the glove, then to a splice pack(sp200), then one of those wires (the single) goes to the harness under your driver seat then to your passenger , and the other two (double wires in splice pack) goto the cruise control module and I believe the 4wd, I didn't chase that one completely.

Hopefully someone finds this useful.