Fuel Pump Reset?

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

CJE

Fuel Pump Reset?

Post by CJE »

I have a 2003 ZR5 S10 and I cannot start it at the moment because after I charged the battery, I couldn't hear the fuel pump starting, and thus cannot start my truck. I'm not that experienced with Chevy (or vehicles in general ,really) so I apologize in advance if the answer to this question is common knowledge but here goes:

Is there a fuel pump reset switch or button located anywhere under the hood or in the fuse center?

I know this fuel pump isn't bad. I have never experienced any problems with it. I just think because my battery was so dead that my numerous attempts to start it (while starting the fuel pump so many times) may have triggered some sort of emergency shut off switch? If anyone knows how to fix this, any input at all would be greatly appreciated.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Fuel Pump Reset?

Post by HenryJ »

Sorry, there is no emergency cut-off switch. While it is possible that the fuse or relay (located in the under hood electrical center) could be bad, I suspect that you will find your fuel pump has failed.

Believe it or not, it makes perfect sense that repeatedly trying to start it with a weak battery could have contributed to its failure. The TSB on pump failures relates their problem to insufficient voltage due to the small terminals in the electrical connector. New Delphi pumps include a replacement electrical connector with larger terminals.

After market "cheap" pumps may not last more than a few months. I took very good care of my original pump and it did not make 80k miles. No warning or symptoms when it died.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
CJE

Post by CJE »

Do I even want to ask what these cost to fix?
CJE

Post by CJE »

..and is there any way to start it even with a failed fuel pump?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Rock Auto

ACDELCO Part # MU1751 More Info {#19177238}
MODULE,F/TNK F/PMP(SENDER & PUMP) CREW CAB; 4 WHEEL DRIVE MODULE,F/TNK F/PMP
$322.79
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

CJE wrote:..and is there any way to start it even with a failed fuel pump?
Nope. You can try kicking the bottom of the tank to jarr it
, but that may not do anything.

NAPA: Fuel Pump Assy - (Electric In-Tank Type) - Actual MFG OEM Part# DFP FG0070 $303.73 (my cost) They can come down to that price.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

It sounds like the fuel pump was dead or dying before the repeated attempts to start the truck. This would explain why it did not start and why you can't hear the pump priming anymore. Before you run out and spend all that money on a new pump, check your fuel pressure with the key in the run position. It should read at least 60 psi and the pressure should hold there and not drop off for a few minutes. Not all Chevy fuel pumps are loud while priming or when their running. Even though I agree that the problem is most likely the pump, there is a possibility that we are all wrong and its something like no spark or a faulty sensor which would both prevent the engine from starting. Hit the bottom of the fuel tank with your fist or a rubber mallet a couple times and see if it starts. If is does replace the pump asap. If you do have to replace the pump make sure you get an AC Delco, Delphi, or Walbro, because the rest are junk ans won't last very long.

Steve
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I keep a spare delphi which came with the replacement heavier wire pigtail I bought on E-bay for $59.95 on hand. 110k on the truck and the fuel gauge hasn't worked for a while but thus far the pump has not failed. I figure it's cheap insurance if having a spare helps the original keep working. lol
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.