The Rig is at the Mechanic *Fixed battery and window motor

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

The Rig is at the Mechanic *Fixed battery and window motor

Post by 14x4 »

Usually when the weather is cold, my radio will not turn on when I start the vehicle. I have to wait for the truck to warm up, turn it off, then start it back up for my radio to turn on. :?:

Two days ago I turned on my truck and everything worked like normal (except the radio). When I tried to restart it to get the radio to work, nothing happened. The starter made no noise, the dash & interior lights did not turn on and the electric locks wouldn't work. I thought something had to be wrong with the connection to the battery because I didn't leave anything on overnight and for the battery to die suddenly for no reason is mysterious. (I'm not sure how old that battery was because it was already in the rig when I bought it. Didn't look old though...)

I jumped my truck using my dad's vehicle and it took a few tries for the engine to sustain itself. It died a couple times while I tried starting it so I had to sit there and give it a little gas until it warmed up. I put the truck into reverse to leave my house and it instantly died. Started it back up and continued to the store to get a new battery. The entire way, the engine would die down, feeling as though it would shut off any second, every time I slowed or stopped. I even had to restart the engine on a busy road because it died while at a stop light. It was also very slow to respond when I accelerated.

We decided to just bring it to a mechanic so they can replace the battery and analyze any other problems. I needed to fix the front passenger-side window anyways so that will kill two birds with one stone.

Does anyone know why my truck would suddenly have all these symptoms without warming?
Last edited by 14x4 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by s10 again »

I would say could be a number of things. However keep your fingers crossed that the jump start did not damage the computer. I have seen a number of these computer controlled vehicles become brain dead from jump starting. It has not always been the vehicle getting jumped that had a computer give up the ghost.

Chris.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Dead battery or bad connection. The computer is doing a "relearn" because it lost it's memory. It is trying to run as if, the truck was new. Pop the intake off of your throttle body and look inside. It will have gunk built up and not allowing the blade to rest in the right location for a new vehicle. Clean the throttle body with TB cleaner, not carb cleaner. You can get by with starting it up and keeping it at 2500 rpm for 5 to 10 minutes to speed up a relearn but, it really needs cleaned.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Just a wild guess,

There are two cables coming from the positive post of the battery. Each has it's purpose. You may have corrosion at the battery end that is affecting one cable more than the other.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm finally Crew Elite. :D
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Ditto on checking integrity of cables at battery. This has caused more than one here troubles including myself.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Let us know what the final labor bill was. I am pretty sure that we could have walked you through this and saved you or Dad a little change.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Just picked up the truck. Cost me a few hundred bucks, but that was because of the window mostly. :roll:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ok...so what did they do? A couple hundred bucks worth doesn't tell us much.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Replaced the window motor and the battery.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A weak battery can take out motors. Both the starter and alternator suffer with a bad battery. I see no reason why a window motor could not also suffer. There do seem to be frequent problems with the drivers door window motors so I'm sure that it may not have been 100% the batteries fault.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

HenryJ wrote:A weak battery can take out motors. Both the starter and alternator suffer with a bad battery. I see no reason why a window motor could not also suffer. There do seem to be frequent problems with the drivers door window motors so I'm sure that it may not have been 100% the batteries fault.
Good to know.

The front passenger-side window hasn't worked for a couple months - long before I had any problems with the battery.

Why might my radio not work when its cold out? Has this happened to anyone else or is my radio just junk? :wink:

(Its an aftermarket, BTW.)
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I know my driver window did a major improvement when I put the new battery in two weeks ago. Seemed like a new window motor and less crackling in the up and down mode.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

14x4 wrote:.........Why might my radio not work when its cold out? Has this happened to anyone else or is my radio just junk? :wink:.........
OK, going out on a limb here. Go to a dealer with proof of ownership with your VIN. Have him cut a new key by the VIN. If, that doesn't help with the radio problem then PM me and I will reimburse you for the effort but, hang onto the receipt. There might be one or two members that will tell you that my word is good but, my theory here is nuts! :lol: :lol:
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

f9k9 wrote:OK, going out on a limb here. Go to a dealer with proof of ownership with your VIN. Have him cut a new key by the VIN. If, that doesn't help with the radio problem then PM me and I will reimburse you for the effort but, hang onto the receipt. There might be one or two members that will tell you that my word is good but, my theory here is nuts! :lol: :lol:
I'm a bit lost. A new key to my rig will fix the radio? :shock:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, you don't believe me, try turning your ignition off and restart it and see if the radio comes on.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

I think it might have been my old battery causing the problem. Since I've had the new battery it hasn't done it yet.
Last edited by 14x4 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Reed, he has an aftermarket stereo in his truck, not the RDS OEM one.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

At the risk of looking stupid - I have to ask - how the hell would a new key help the radio?

:lol:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

14x4 wrote:At the risk of looking stupid - I have to ask - how the hell would a new key help the radio?

+1 I'd think that a bad ignition switch would be more likely if the problem returns/persists. JMO 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

roadrunner wrote:
14x4 wrote:At the risk of looking stupid - I have to ask - how the hell would a new key help the radio?

+1 I'd think that a bad ignition switch would be more likely if the problem returns/persists. JMO 8)
Laugh all you want. :wink:

I am still willing to put my money on my mouth. Don't ask me how I know. :lol:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Not laughing Reed. Just really confused how that could happen given the key to switch connection is purely mechanical and mechanically connected to the electrical side of the equation.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, I was willing to pay for the attempt then, just await the outcome. No offense intended. This chit has gotten weird since you worked at a ford dealership. A key cut by vin is a heck of a lot cheaper than having a stealership's tech. that is paid by that book you know all about, versus tossing parts at a problem.

Granted, I am talking about comparing apples and oranges with GM and DC but, a fresh key solved my radio and fuel gauge problems for me.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

f9k9 wrote:If, I was willing to pay for the attempt then, just await the outcome.
I believe you! Granted I'm automotive-illiterate, so to speak, and you could tell me almost anything concerning our trucks and I'd believe it. :wink:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Not offended either. Just don't see how the key could make a difference unless it was one of the ones with a chip in it that "talks" to the vehicle computer. Aint calling anybody less than truthful either and won't. Just have never heard of that one in dealership days or anything like it since. BTW I'd be shikkled titless if that'd solve my radio problems with the left speakers being intermittent but I have a spare brand new key and have tried it to no avail. I think the loose connection/broken wire gremlins are running around having a field day in my truck.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I've got a cute one going on now. Right front door wndow won't crank with it's own switch until the drivers side main switch has cranked it first, then it works on its own fine. Go figgure ? :?:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN