low fuel light

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

low fuel light

Post by snowsurfer »

Changed my fuel pump 7 months ago now the fuel gauge is dead and my low fuel light stays on. Any way to turn it off with out dropping the tank again and changing the float switch??

2003 Crew
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Some have had luck hitting the fuel tank with a hammer to get the float working again for a time but that's just a desperation trick that may or may not work, you could try a concentrated fuel cleaner in the tank like Seafoam to see if you can get it freed up or you can pull the lamp on the dash.You should also check to make sure the wires to the pump are not pinched or damaged along the way. The only true fix will be to drop the tank and replace the sending unit.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

lamp removal

Post by snowsurfer »

Did the tank R & R, don't want to do it again for awhile...Any easy way t get to the lamp?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Start popping off the dash,no other way, you will need to remove the cluster to remove the lamp. Or a piece of tape over the light.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

You could try a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas and see if that frees up the sender. I've used this stuff to cure the unreliable readings that all factory fuel gauges seem to have and it works great. Several other S10 owners have found MMO to be the only fix for the crazy factory gauge. :wink:

Steve
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

MM oil?

Post by snowsurfer »

Never heard of it? Where would I find it in Hawaii??? If it works great, I'll try anything....
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Most auto parts stores, Wal-Mart, Target, etc, carry MMO. :wink:

Steve