Weird gas guage...

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Gary H
Crew
Crew

Weird gas guage...

Post by Gary H »

Ok, I know enough from reading here that the gas gauges in our trucks are pretty whacked out. Every time I turn on the key I get a different reading (a good quarter tank variance) but here's what it does that's really strange. Every once in a while it will suddenly drop to "E" and the low fuel light will come on and then after a short while the gauge and light return to normal. At first I thought sending unit but I can leave it sit for a few hours to make sure everything is perfectly still and then turn on the key (reaching in through window so as not to disturb anything) and watch. After a short while the gauge will suddenly drop to "E" and the low fuel light will pop on and then maybe a few seconds or minutes later it all comes back again. How can the sending unit do that if nothing is moving? Besides, the last time we had the sending unit go bad the low fuel light stayed off even though the gauge was solid on E. Also, jumping up and down on the bumper and the level of fuel in the tank doesn't seem to effect it. I can't figure this out.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Write it off and use the trip odometer. It is not worth the time or expense to jack with it. You'll get used to it after awhile. I did this with my ZR2. With our CCs I'd tank up around 100 miles unless on a trip.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Gary H
Crew
Crew

Post by Gary H »

I guess you're right. I don't drive it much anymore. Just the occasional haul stuff to the dump trip. It's just annoying. Mostly Sharon drives it to work and if it doesn't bother her...

I just hate stuff I can't figure out. :?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Some Marvel Mystery oil in the gas seems to help the gauge read more accurately, but it is not a total fix.

I don't think there really is a total fix for this problem and GM doesn't seems to want to fix the problem or they would have done something about it after all these years. :roll:

I have had senders replaced, PCM reflashed, and it still did the same thing. :(

The gas gauge in my 05 ZR2 does weird things ocassionaly, but I do have the newer overhead consol that displays average gas mileage, instant gas mileage, fuel used, fuel remaining, miles traveled, miles remaining, etc. which seems to be pretty accurate. :D

Steve
Gary H
Crew
Crew

Post by Gary H »

Thanks Steve. I have one of those trip computers overhead in my Jeep. Never understood why they didn't put those in the crewcabs (that and the full time 4wd option). They loaded them up with everything else it seems.

Well anyway, Sharon will probably trade it in the next time gas goes over $4 but we'll see.
[size=75]Gary.
(AKA Rusty)[/size]