Keeps Stopping on me

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

jist1983
Regular
Regular

Keeps Stopping on me

Post by jist1983 »

Hello all i need a little help here. About 2 weeks ago while pulling up the the gas pump i shut off the truck filled up and started the truck. The truck ran for 10 seconds and stopped running. Did this 3 times in a row. Didn't have any problems with it for 4-5 days. Went on a date came home parked the truck went to take her home 2 hours later didn't want to stay running same thing as at the gas station. I then got it running no problems drove her home and didn't have any problems 2 days later while coming to s stop light at a complete stop, it stopped again a minutes down the road at the stop light stopped again.... and finally at a stop sign it stopped, started it back up and pulled into where i had to get to and shut it off.... I called the garage made an appointment and drive it right there. They were working in it today did the same thing to them only once and they can't figure out what the problem is? Does anyone have any ideas on what to look. Its a GM dealer right now they are going to look at it some more tomorrow morning and for a little bit longer today till 5:00 comes around but as of 4:22pm today they have no idea what to even look at. Has this happened to anyone else? Any Suggestions. Its a 2003 Sonoma. Help here please all i keep hearing is the sound of cash register and me looking for a new truck i can't have this keep going on.........
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Change the fuel filter, check the fuel pressure, test the coil, test the fuel injectors, etc. :wink:

I'm surprised the GM dealer can't find the problem. :roll:

The last thing you need is for something to completely quit on you far away from home. :(

Steve
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

My old car did this as it had a hole in the gas tank. Just water in the fuel so I added dry gas. Easy fix to an easy problem hopefully yours is easy and the dealer is just not too smart.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
jist1983
Regular
Regular

Post by jist1983 »

As of last night when i talked to them, i still am waiting a call for today, but last night they said that the computer cleared itself 2 starts ago and they don't see anything so I'm hoping that they will start driving it with their computer on or something and catch it from what i understand they can do that. but so far its 10:12 here and no call yet
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Perform the diagnostics that killian96ss mentioned.

It might be time to give her new plugs & wires.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
jist1983
Regular
Regular

Post by jist1983 »

Another thing i was thinking is its hit and miss, when it starts to die i give it a little gas and it goes no problems doesn't die but i need to give it gas, my father suggested maybe it could be the Throttle position sensor but then you think the garage would have checked that already right.... i guess if i had it right now troubleshooting would be a little bit easier too... i did check the plugs they seemed to be fairly clean yet but they are on my list to change most likely this weekend I'm due for an oil change too...
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

It sounds like you should put the plugs, wires, fuel filter & inspect the cap for corrosion as your first moves.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
jist1983
Regular
Regular

Post by jist1983 »

Just so you all know it came back with nothing. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. I think this weekend i am changing plugs and wires... we'll see if that fixes anything.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I still say try drygas too incase you got some bad gas.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

green02crew wrote:I still say try drygas too incase you got some bad gas.
Plus a new fuel filter. :wink:

Steve
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

I've posted this a couple times but I've had 3 S-series with weird starting and dieing problems that were eventually tracked back to a bad ignition switch. All 3 of them got worse in the cold weather. The contacts in the switch would get stuck \ gummy \ weak and would not make good contact. All 3 of them it was the contact that runs all the "stay on while while in the start position" accessories(fuel pump, computer, etc). This is a very difficult one to trouble shoot when its in its early stages. Your symptoms sound more like tune up \ fuel but they are very close to what I was seeing on the bad switches. 2 of the 3 I noticed the air bag light flashing every once in a while sometimes accompanied by a misfire. This seemed to be a side affect of the computer loosing power for just a second and rebooting.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
jist1983
Regular
Regular

Post by jist1983 »

Actually that could be very well it... I was going to get on here today and update what has happened this far. This past weekend i changed the fuel filter as one of the 1st steps + it needed done anyways. But before and after that i would turn the key over and it would try to start and stay running for a few seconds if i would hurry up and step on the gas it then would stay running after i held it down for a few seconds. After that i went to start it nothing happened the dashboard didn't come on and then like 3 -4 turns later everything lit back up short after the computer must have reset itself the time and everything wiped out. 2 -3 More turns up and running... It then started running fine again... drove it home and parked it and drove to get some gas and didn't feel like trying to get it to work this morning borrowed a car and figured maybe later this week i can maybe try something else. I called the garage today and told the tech who worked on it he suggested it might be the ignition switch as well so i just emailed gmpartsdirect as i placed an order today already hoping maybe i would be able to order an ignition switch with the same order. Which brings me to my next question does any one know where to buy a decent one and are they hard to replace? Do i need to know anything particular about them?
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

jist1983 wrote:... Which brings me to my next question does any one know where to buy a decent one and are they hard to replace? Do i need to know anything particular about them?
The 2 I replaced by myself came from gmpartsdirect.com.

As far as replacing them, they have all been on older s-series. 97 and 99. Those had 1 or 2 huge plugs that have to be unplugged under the dash, you have to disable the air bag... The only special tool is a ?E4? reverse torx bit. Every kit I could find stopped at a E6? and I needed one smaller. I wound up tracking down the local Snap-on truck and paying like $9 for the bit but he was the only one in town with one in stock. Any body else done one to remember the # of the reverse torx? I can check my tool box tonight.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Hopefully you've figured out and fixed your problem by now and if not I have a suggestion of something off the wall you might check. My 01 CC was behaving as you describe yours at one time also. Drove me nuts. Finally discovered a bad battery side terminal connection. Was loosing connection but would start right back up also. Close inspection showed the nut that the side terminal bolt screws into had loosened in the lead on the side of the battery thus the bolt seemed tight but the cable could be wiggled. Fortunately I discovered this problem before any computer or other electronic damage occurred. Don't know if this will help you but it is an easy thing to check and could save you a lot of aggravation. I have two other GM vehicles and have worked on numerous customer vehicles in the past and have never seen this problem before or since. Just sounds like your symptoms are eerily familiar.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Did you ever get this fixed?
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

daevans315 wrote:Did you ever get this fixed?
Not sure if you're asking me or jist1983. :?: In my case yes. I tried shortening up battery cable bolts which wasn't sufficient :!: so I removed the bolts from the cables and installed copper spacer washers (left overs from brake line work) between the bolt heads and the cable ends. You could also remove original bolts and install 3/8x1 1/4 coarse thread bolts with nuts behind cables. Tightne bolts till snug/tight then tighten nut down against backside of cable. Not the best fix but it does work. :roll:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.