Having DRL problems...

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Having DRL problems...

Post by christian »

Does anyone had any problems with there DRL lights lately?? Mine won't come on...My high beams work fine. I don't have any blown fuses and the relay is working fine excpet that it isn't getting any current from the live feed..:S An electrical shematic would help alot...my truck is a 2002 S10 crewcab. Thanks

Chris
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Yup just started today, I went out at 5am and my lights came on when I started my truck and now for some reason they will only come on when I shift into gear and turn back off when in park . I can turn them on and off with the overide but they turn back off when in park again . Not sure whats going on.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

if your DRL's are on and you put the vehicle in park...the DRL's will turn off!! if it is dark enough for the regulasr lights to come on and you put it in park,,,the lights wwill stay on..ie. AHL"S!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:... now for some reason they will only come on when I shift into gear and turn back off when in park . I can turn them on and off with the overide but they turn back off when in park again . Not sure whats going on.
Check to make sure your emergency brake is released completely if this is you AHL's doing this. If it is the DRL, that is the way it is supposed to work.
DRL's are off in park. AHL's are on in park unless the emergency brake is applied.

EDIT: Look's like I am way too slow. Distractions while posting make me a slow echo of the above post this time I guess ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

My lights have always been on unless I have the E brake pushed no matter what time of day
Last edited by jeff024 on Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:My lights have always been on unless I have the E brake pushed no matter what time of day and not there not
You must have finally uncovered the ambient light sensor for the AHL's ;)
Now they are working correctly :D

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

the sensors on my dash on top of the pass side speaker correct . and 1 mor thing whats the difference AHL/ DRL?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:the sensors on my dash on top of the pass side speaker correct . and 1 mor thing whats the difference AHL/ DRL?
Yes.

AHL- Automatic Head Lamps - The ambient light sensor ,located in the RF dash mounted speaker grille, senses low light conditions for a preset amount of time and automatically turns on the head lamps. While in park with the emergency brake set the lights are off until the brake is released. They can also be disabled by pressing the dome light switch four times. A chime will signal that they have been disabled.

DRL- Daytime Running Lamps - These operate when the ambient light sensor senses adequate light for a preset amount of time. Those having the highbeam running lamps operate in a reduced intensity mode. This has the highbeams connected in a series , with one light connected to the power source and the other grounded. As opposed to each powered by a ground and positive.
The DRL's operate when the transmission is shifted from park and light conditions are met.

You can test the ambient light sensor by placing an opaque cover over it and waiting. After a time the AHL's will turn on.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

Well my problem is without the brake applied and without being in park....it doesn't really matter.....they just don't come on....I think that i'll have to bring it in to the dealer to have a check at it....if i had the electrical schematic i could've isolated the problem but i only have the Haynes manuel for 94 thru 98 and a GM shop manuel for a 95 sonoma/s10....the schematic isn't the same...

Chris
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

The other day my wife was following me in the CC and I noticed that eveytime she used the turn signals, the DHL's would turn off. I thought that was very weird. Mine is set up with the high beam DHL. Does this happen with anyone else???
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It's actually designed that way so oncoming traffic will be sure to see the turn signal indicators and the DRLs will not distract from them.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

Yeah well i'll probably be bringing the truck in to the dealer to check what's going on? And i'm looking to buy myself the Shop manuals... I got some info that i could get the set of 3 at 175$ canadian..:D

Chris
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

border man wrote:The other day my wife was following me in the CC and I noticed that eveytime she used the turn signals, the DHL's would turn off. I thought that was very weird. Mine is set up with the high beam DHL. Does this happen with anyone else???
What year is yours? Mine is an '02 with the hi beam DRL's and mine doesn't do that but I've seen some other S-10 trucks and Blazers that did.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

It's a 2000.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

border man wrote:The other day my wife was following me in the CC and I noticed that eveytime she used the turn signals, the DHL's would turn off. I thought that was very weird. Mine is set up with the high beam DHL. Does this happen with anyone else???
I'm guesing you have the GMC version? All the GMC's I've seen do that, none of the Chevy's I've seen do it.. I think its the design with the lens, like was mentioned, to make the turn signals easier to see..
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

kf6kmx wrote:
I'm guesing you have the GMC version? All the GMC's I've seen do that, none of the Chevy's I've seen do it.. I think its the design with the lens, like was mentioned, to make the turn signals easier to see..
I saw one Chevy Blazer do it but that's the only one I've ever seen that turns off the DRLs with the turn signals.